Saturday 29 October 2022

Tough Week

 


I'm not gonna lie, it's been a tough week thanks to the effects of school Halloween events on my 4 and 5 yos 👻 and the total changes at home.  I love my son and DIL dearly but ooft, it's going to take a lot more work than I thought to get some kind of order and routines established.


Despite doing 2 tip runs myself and paying a small fortune to my 'man with a van' (who had a FULL stuffed to the doors vanload) I'm still overflowing with STUFF!!!  My craft room was pretty much cleared but this is how it looks again this morning 🙄  I know we'll get there eventually but it feels a bit never ending.  

They both have chronic health conditions so their sleep patterns are opposite to mine.  My alarm goes off at 6.30am for work so I'm in bed by 10pm.  They stay in bed until about lunch time so don't go to bed until after midnight.  And meal times are just not in sync at all.   Aaaaaargh!!!!

Ok, sorry for the wee rant.  It's only been a week so far.  I've learned that maybe I'm not as easy going as I thought I was!! 😂  I've learned that I really like my solitude and own space at night after a crappy day at work.  So I'm prioritising getting the family room (first photo) cleared and set up as a sitting room space for them.  I've also gone ahead with turning my utility room into a mini kitchen.  Work starts on 9th January. 

I'm hoping that by documenting it here we can look back one day and 'fondly' remember the start of this way of living 😱😂

14 comments:

  1. How I feel for you - no matter how much we love our family, these situations take a lot of adjusting to and tons of give and take needed on all sides. If you are determined to make it work it will, my m in law lives with us and it has it's moments - be realistic and as honest as possible, it will work out.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the amount of stuff still to declutter is having a draining effect on us all. Plus I'm working full time so I can't sort it out quickly. I'm being realistic but my son is struggling with it all xxx

      Delete
  2. Oh Ali-I do sympathise with your current situation. I think your homesharers need to be more considerate of you and the hours you need to keep to survive your job. It’s time for a few house rules otherwise you are going to end up unwell. Hugs-wish I was nearer to meet for coffee and rant. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's definitely challenging! I'm the breadwinner so they'll need to put up with some inconvenience for now. I've set some 'rules' esp about noise/cooking at night. And I'm quiet in return in the mornings. We'll get there xxx

      Delete
  3. I just know I couldn't do it. The nearest possible that might work for me is an annex - completely separate1
    Good luck with it all -soon be the school holidays again and you'll have a bit more time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 8 weeks until the next school holidays!! I do have the potential to create a separate annexe but it would be suitable for just 1 person. And I'm not moving into it! I'm hoping it will work out in time xxx

      Delete
  4. I could not live with our daughter but had our adult granddaughter and her little dog living with us for 18 months. She was working from home 5 days out of seven. I am sure after after you have set ground rules and finished decluttering, things will work out okay for you all. Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the de cluttering aspect that's stressing me. I have 2 unusable rooms atm which would definitely help with the personal space and privacy issues xxx

      Delete
  5. It does sound as though they will need to make an effort to synchronise with you. You can't be being disturbed that late. I'm sure they will understand and adapt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they will once we've got everything cleared and all the work gets done. It doesn't help that they've both had the virus I had a few weeks ago so everyone is feeling tired. My son dropped their TV this afternoon so that was a BIG drama!! xxx

      Delete
  6. I’ve been decluttering for what seems like a very long time, and sometimes feel like it will never end! In my neighborhood we have a very active ‘Buy Nothing’ Facebook group so at least useable items aren’t dumped. Good luck, especially with learning to share your space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the crux of my problem, I can't stand throwing out things that are still useful!!! I could just throw it all out. But I'm choosing to sort it so I can donate it or recycle it to the many different places. That's why it's taking aaaages! xxx

      Delete
  7. I really do sympathise. It is never easy sharing ones personal space and if the lifestyles are out of synch, it's even harder. You'll get there, I am sure. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy. We have to get there in the end as there's no alternative atm xxx

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks