Saturday 10 December 2022

Let it snow!

 

It was -2 degrees C here at 9am this morning, probably lower than that through the night.  Basically Winter has arrived with a vengeance this week.  Brrrr!! ❆ My kids are desperate for it to snow.  We have wee flurries that quickly disappear but we're on a yellow snow warning for this weekend.  So I guess be careful what you wish for!!

We had a burst water main round the corner on Thursday thanks to the sudden freeze.  Thankfully our water was ok (low pressure) but my son and his fiancΓ© (who live a 5mins walk from me) had very brown water for a few hours.  We also have a burst water pipe outside our school.  

It made a fab icy slide for the kids in the playground but was actually very dangerous to walk on!!  You can just see the Ochil hills behind the house roofs.  No snow on them on Thursday but maybe today there will be.  That's when we know it's definitely Winter here in Central Scotland!

It was a porridge morning for me, the dog and the chicken! πŸ•πŸ”  Home made jam, walnuts and chia seeds in mine and just chia for Tuppence.


Emma gets to clean out the pot which then gets a thorough clean in the dishwasher!!!  Cheap, hot and filling breakfast for us all πŸ˜‹

I've got a friend popping round shortly to collect some packing paper as she's moving house this week.  Like I did, she's downsizing from the family house after divorce to a smaller house that costs less to run.  It will be nice to have her here in Stirling 😊

14 comments:

  1. Can't beat a nice bowl of porridge on a winter morning.
    Pleased for you that your friend will be closer.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could make the time to make it every morning but I struggle to get up in the dark for work, never mind make AND eat porridge!!!

      Delete
    2. I soak one serving of steel-cut oat groats overnight and microwave them for a minute in the morning. If it's soaked in a jar, it can be taken with you to work. A slow cooker can also be used to cook them overnight. ~ skye

      Delete
    3. I really should try to make the time. Thanks for the nudge, I'll try the soaking overnight trick tonight and see how long it takes to cook in the morning :-)

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad that Tuppence is still around. Are you going to get her some company, or do you think she wouldn't like that at her age?
    I do love porridge, with sultanas in my case 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she's very much still around and still laying. She's really annoyed with me that she's not allowed out of her enclosure to free range thanks to avian flu rules. I think I will get some more rescues in the Spring and no, she won't like that one bit!! LOL!

      Delete
  3. We have snow here in Hamilton too so I’ve had a crafty day at home. The temperature has been really low the last two days and I shudder to think what the gas bill will be! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying not to think about my gas bill! I'll cut back on other stuff if it gets really high!!

      Delete
  4. We have snow forecast for overnight but I will believe that when it happens - we don't usually get snow round here. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had snow forecast last night but it didn't happen! Need to get myself organised in case we get a heavy dump xxx

      Delete
  5. Porridge is THE best breakfast with these low temperatures isn't it. I soak mine overnight in the pan and then just switch the hob on when I get up. If I don't do this I find I can't be bothered to do it first thing and end up just having toast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to do that, I've just got lazy in the morning! Really must make more of an effort :-)

      Delete
  6. It is porridge time here in Canada as well. Love to have it every third day.

    Low temperatures are coming again here on the prairies of Canada, not looking forward to that at all. I am keeping my fingers crossed that we don't have any blizzards the week that the boys will come home for Christmas.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. -5 C when I was going to work this morning. No snow yet just bitterly cold. Def porridge weather now!

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks