Wednesday 21 December 2022

Weird, right?


This is weird, or at least I think it is but do let me know what you think!

Before I put the flat on the market I contacted a locally recommended electrician to check/fix the lights in the communal close.  They kept shorting so needed more than just changing the light bulb.  

I phoned and left a message on their voicemail.  I filled in their online contact form, saying I'd also phoned them.  I heard nothing back.  So after 5 weeks with no response I assumed they were unable to do the job.

So my DIL contacted another local electrician.  I spoke to him on the phone, explained the situation and he agreed to look at the lights but was only available in a month's time.  No problem so we agreed on a date and a rough price.  Access was easy so there was no need for anyone to be present at the flat.

A week after the previously agreed date I got an invoice for £144 to fix the lights so I paid it.  Issue sorted.

Last week we got an overdue invoice reminder of £102 for electrical work to repair the close lights.

Several emails and phone calls later...

Turns out the original electrician I contacted rocked up days after the second electrician had already fixed the lights, replaced the push buttons switches and sent me an invoice.  I paid it thinking it was the second guy that I had spoken to and agreed a price.

I have had zero interaction with the original guy but he went ahead and did the work without contacting me.  That's weird, right??

16 comments:

  1. Certainly ‘coincidental’. I’m not a big believer in coincidence. After ignoring your attempts at communication, sparky 1 should at least have contacted you before pitching up. Not sure how easy it will be to get that money back though? 😢😢. Julie C x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the total lack of communication that's just weird!! The 2nd guy did the minimum required as I requested. ie make it safe so it passed a surveyor's report. The 1st guy (zero contact) fixed a cosmetic issue after it had already been made safe. Doubt I'll get any money back as he actually did the work

      Delete
  2. definitely weird, very unprofessional to not contact you before carrying out the work, he should refund you but as the comment above says i don't think it will be easy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very unprofessional despite being highly recommended by a few folk. Don't think I'll get a refund as he did actually replace the push button switches

      Delete
  3. I'd want to know how he gained access to the flat? Not professional to go in without your express permission for that date and time! I'd be pushing for at least an apology and a reduction in fee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He didn't need to get into the flat as it was the lights in the outside entry. They have their own fuse box so could be fixed without needing into any of the flats. But still weird and unprofessional!

      Delete
  4. Totally weird and certainly unprofessional!
    Alison in Wales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know it's not just me that thinks that!

      Delete
  5. Very weird and should have sent you a message to say what needed done before commencing work. I guess there’s not a factoring agreement for your flat as the cost of this work should be shared among the tenants/residents. Any luck on the sale? Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the initial zero response then lack of communication from doing the job that's so weird. Yes, there's no factor agreement. I decided to take the financial hit as I didn't want anything to be flagged up on the home report or subsequent survey by a potential buyer. All the other flats are rented to students so chasing up all the landlords would have taken ages. Flat is sold subject to all the usual legal stuff but nowt happening till January now

      Delete
    2. Great news, Ali-retirement may be very soon❤️

      Delete
  6. Yes, very weird, at the very least he should have phoned immediately after doing the job to say that it had been done. But in an ideal world he should have given you a written quotation or just an estimate of the costs involved. But ... at least it has been done, and checked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He definitely should have contacted me to ask if I agreed to what he was proposing to do. Like the second guy did! But yes it's done and it's safe again which is the main thing when dealing with anything electrical!!

      Delete
  7. That's so bizarre! He should have spoken to you and agreed before commencing the work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is bizarre! But I'm not dwelling on it as it's done now :-)

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks