Thursday 6 April 2023

Weird and reduced!


The weather has been weird this week.  Hot, cold, wet, damp, sunny, warm and often all on the same day!  Maybe that's why I have a weird cough again 😞 It could be the tail end of the virus having a last hoorah or I've got something else.  On one of the weird weather days I was out in the garden weeding, mulching and topping up containers with Emma beside me.  Here she is supervising us!  She's 11 now and going a bit senile but seems happy enough.

I've had my cooking mojo this week.  It comes and goes so I make the most of it.  Leftover mash from Sunday's dinner was turned into tattie scones 😋 Recipe HERE.

I popped into Tesco to collect my son's prescription and got some 19p veggies.  I also got some reduced chicken sausages, bread, spring onions and GF bread.  I'd been keeping my eye on their reduced mincemeat as they had a few cases on their reduced shelf.  It was finally down to 40p yesterday so I picked up 3 jars.  It's from their Finest range, has port and brandy in it plus it's vegan.  Best before date is Oct 2024!!  I might try to keep it for next Christmas but it's useful to have in the storecupboard.  I've added it to a sponge pudding before and it was delicious.  Recipe HERE.  And I think I've seen a recipe somewhere for a fruit cake using mincemeat.  I'll go investigate.


I got a carton of Alpro cream too (£1.20) but was pleasantly surprised when I got to the checkout!!  I'm using Tesco more and more as their yellow stickers and Clubcard deals are just too good pass up. 

Unfortunately the reduced GF bread is rather dry and crumbly so I'm off to batch cook a load of French toast for breakfast and for the freezer! 😋

15 comments:

  1. Left-over mincemeat is wonderful stuffed into baked apples

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mincemeat is a good thing to stock up on when they do the final reductions and it just gets better and better with age, especially the good ones with a high alcohol content. Now you've made me really fancy a mince pie, if you get some yellow stickered ready rolled pastry to pop in the freezer you will be all set for impromptu mince pie or mince pasty baking. I do miss Tesco, there are none near us. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time I'm in I'll see if there are any left and get a few more. You couldn't make a 411g jar (approx 1lb) for 40p so it's well worth it! :-)

      Delete
  3. Great hail apart from the bread. We don’t have a Tesco nearby so I have to make do with what we have nearby. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made French toast with the larger usable bits and turned the rest into breadcrumbs. Both in the freezer now! Waste nothing if at all possible is my mantra! :-)

      Delete
  4. Great scoops! You have good eyes for a bargain. Deals like that are few and far between here which I put down to the stores having a rapid turnover of perishable items. Or maybe I'm not looking carefully enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's just luck! You have to keep an open mind about what you will actually use. I never go in thinking I need reduced sausages. But when I see them I get them as I know I can cook and freeze them for future meals. I've started popping into supermarkets when I'm passing on the off chance and regularly come out with nothing :-)

      Delete
  5. What great buys. You did very well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Every now and then I get lucky! :-)

      Delete
  6. I’ve often ignored the sell by date on mincemeat with no ill effects, my mum used to make her own and keep it for years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! If it's full of sugar and booze it's not going off soon!! :-)

      Delete
  7. The tatties look yummy. Do you need a leavener like self rising flour to make them a success? I don't have access to gluten free flour and wonder if I can do them with rice flour. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rice flour should work as most GF flour mixes have it. I just add some baking powder to my plain GF flour if I don't have self raising :-)

      Delete
    2. THank you. I will try that.

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks