Monday 7 August 2023

Settling in

 

Don't be fooled by the sweet photo!  Someone's feisty personality is starting to show and I'm being very strict with myself to not keep giving cuddles to get her to nap.  Or to constantly play with her as she is soooo cute!  She wants to play fight with Emma all the time but she is just too old and grumpy to put up with it for long.  Cue lots of barking and growling 🙄 She's mostly using the puppy pads indoors and loves being outside already.  Yep, safe to say Luna has made herself at home.  However, the lack of continuous sleep for me and early starts is a killer! 😴

Since I'm mostly confined to the kitchen area for now I cleaned out a few cupboards.  Even though I think I'm really good at watching dates on opened stuff, there were a few things that had escaped me.  The pretty gin bottle is my homemade vanilla essence.  It will last years!


This cupboard is for my 'big' jars with things like lentils and flour.  I gave it a good clear out too.  There's something very satisfying about washing out big storage jars.  I usually write the BBE date on the jars if I've emptied a packet but again there were a few dates that had slipped through.  One was even 2021, oops! 😳


I strained out the dehydrated rasps I had put in apple cider vinegar.  Tastes blooming lovely and will go nicely on salad.  I swithered about pushing the rasps through the sieve to add to it.


In the end I just froze them and will decide what to do with them later.  Maybe make some sort of savoury sauce/jelly to serve with meat?  I'm sure Pinterest will help me out!

I've got a Sainsbury's delivery coming this afternoon.  I've just had a text to tell me it's coming between 2.26pm and 3,26pm.  Very precise.  I booked a saver slot which gave me a 4 hour window but since I'll be here any way it didn't matter.  Then I've got some food/meal prep to get on with.  The freezer is filling up nicely with home grown produce too 😊

16 comments:

  1. A lovely way to make raspberry vinegar - it will definitely be delicious on salads. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ali, thanks for reminding me again not to get a puppy! Although, I think, as a novice, I got some things wrong with Bluebell that I’d not do again but then as I look at her now, all sleepy from breakfast, with better recall than most, I’m quite the proud mama! She was my first ever dog! As for cuddling them to sleep, those first few weeks she’d suckle into the crook of my elbow and go to sleep! She’s beautifully crate trained and still the love of my life. Freddie is here to stay, my daughter’s gorgeous springer, who is calm and clever in different ways and I love him too. Though I may just have said, ‘bloody dogs’ as they tripped me up on my way to the kitchen! Luna is beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha!! Might have said 'bloody dogs' a thousand times over the years as they have a knack of getting under your feet in ways where everyone could get hurt!! Still early days so a wee cuddle every now and then is fine. Crate training going slowly but we'll get there. She's already learned to sit for a bit of kibble!!! :-)

      Delete
  3. I always use those saver slots for online delivery from Sainsbury. I'm a very early riser so use the first saver slot of the day, usually just £1. A real saver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't manage to snag a £1 today but my £2 is still great value as it stops the impulse spending in store!! :-)

      Delete
  4. Luna has her feet well under the table! I've found tiredness in myself very hard this time round with our pup who was 18wks old yesterday, especially the first few weeks. He's housetrained now and can go through the night (10 to 5.30), so it's a bit easier now. The biting is still going on though. I don't blame Emma for being grumpy, I feel the same sometimes!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been 11 years since I had a pup so I'm finding it harder as I can't bend so easily and quickly now!! She's managing 4 hours ish at a time through the night so far. And she barks back at Emma now!!! :-)

      Delete
  5. It's just like having a baby in the house again isn't it, very tiring. Could you use those dehydrated raspberries in some stuffing mix at Christmas they would add a lovely tangy, fruity flavour to sage and onion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, just like having a baby except she can move as quick as a flash!!! Like the idea of stuffing with raspberries instead of cranberries, maybe :-)

      Delete
  6. Luna is so cute and you are doing well not cuddling her back to sleep. Lovely rasps-I had some with yoghurt today. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been snacking on them when I'm at the allotment rather than bringing them back (mostly as I kept forgetting to take a tub with me!) Lol!! :-)

      Delete
  7. It's bringing it all back to me reading this....... first we had our lab girl ( during covid) then when our elderly yorkie died m in law persuaded us to get a westie pup.......oh goodness, the nights! They are now inseparable though, and finally our golden girl is not jumping at visitors....... and, despite the challenges with a lab pup, we would definitely get another, they are truly wonderful dogs x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love their temperament around kids and other dogs. My pet hate is an untrained Lab as they can be a nuisance as they are big strong dogs who can knock you over if they jump up. Luna has already started on her training :-)

      Delete
  8. How nice that Luna is settling in so well. She is such a beautiful puppy.

    Good work on cleaning cupboards.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really is the most beautiful pup I've had and I thought Emma was really gorgeous at this age! :-)

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks