Saturday 2 September 2023

10 years!

 


10 years ago today I moved back to the city, bucking the trend at the time of everyone moving to the country.  It was very stressful time in my life and I really didn't want to move.  At the time I didn't have many choices of houses to buy and I'll be honest and say I didn't love this house when I bought it.  It was supposed to be a stop gap before my then partner and I pooled our resources to buy a home together.  But plans (and people!) change and here I am 10 years later on my own (totally happy with that choice!!) planning to sell up next year and downsize even more.


I was thinking last night that I've now decorated every room in the house (except the craft room) and refloored the whole house with carpet and laminate.  I've replaced 2 bathrooms, a kitchen and a utility room. I put in a woodburner.  I've painted everything white (mostly!)  I've replaced wonky doors and windows.  I've cut down horrendous Leylandii trees and built raised beds in the front and back gardens.  And I've tried to do it all as cost effectively as I can.  I'm lucky as I bought this house at a time when the housing market was low and I'll be selling it as the market is improving again.


I'm aiming to get the house on the market next March so I have started a list of the 'things' that I have to finish, get fixed and make everything look amazing in photos!!  My painting everything white strategy has paid off as all I need to do in some places is just a few touch ups.  No new materials will need to be bought.  I need an electrician to fix some lights and sockets.  And a builder /joiner to repair an outside wall.  Then Operation Downsize Me will begin in earnest!! 😊

11 comments:

  1. Your house looks as if it was built around the same time as ours although ours is a bungalow. Spring is always a good time to sell I think so you’ll have a good few months to pace yourself. I’ve been trying to get our garden looking better with more perennials and I’ve bought some spring bulbs from Lidls. The squirrels and magpies will destroy at least half of them despite my best efforts to cover with wire and bricks! Happy weekend. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My house is a classic chalet style Wimpy, built in 1967. It's massively (and horribly!) extended out the back so it looks small from the front. People always say it's like the Tardis!! I've got a family of squirrels, magpies, crows and pigeons eating all my young plants so I'm not putting any new ones in :-)

      Delete
  2. Your house looks lovely. I'd definitely want to view it if I was looking in your area & obvs if I could afford it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a modest wee house that could be re configured to suit the current open plan living trend. My neighbours either side of me (exact same house) have done totally different things so the 3 houses are completely different inside. My house will sell easily as it's in a good school catchment area and near a lot of facilities :-)

      Delete
  3. Ali you have done so very well in transforming your house into a home. So sad that original circumstances forced your hand and then a certain person who changed his mind upset your plans, but my goodness what you have achieved is phenomenal, you have my utmost respect 😇. I am sure that your future plans will be equally amazing and sure that every happiness will be yours xxx. Jan in Castle Gresley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks! xxx It was a very tough time but I kept going. My life is good and I can live it exactly how I want. I'm really looking forward to finding that perfect wee home that's all about me for a change :-)

      Delete
  4. Your home looks lovely. Bright and well decorated. I hope you are very proud with what you have done with it. Good luck with the sale - someone will be very lucky.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I hope someone will pay a decent amount of money for it. Houses round here sell well and very quickly. I'm just hoping the market is strong in the Spring :-) xxx

      Delete
  5. I can't believe it has been 10 years 😲 Where has the time gone? I clearly remember you moving there.
    I'm sure it will sell quickly and you will move onto the next stage of the 'plan'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much has happened in those 10 years! It's true that as you get older, time speeds up!!! It feels like I'm a bit in limbo just now as I know where I want to go but can't do anything about it yet! :-) xxx

      Delete
  6. can you get a prescription for the meds and buy them elsewhere this worked for me with my older dogs pain meds?

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks