Tuesday 2 January 2024

Money, budgets and other boring stuff!

 

I hate doing it but more than ever I need to keep on top of my money and stick to a strict budget.  So, yesterday I sat down and went through all my fixed monthly expenses.  Then I added up my fixed monthly income and did a subtraction sum.

After I've paid for all the boring things I can't avoid every month (like council tax, internet, mobile phone etc)  I have the grand sum of £59.54 a month left over.  This has to cover food for me, household items like cleaning stuff/toiletries etc,  clothes,  entertainment,  energy bills and of course food for the dogs and their medications.



Obviously £59.54 isn't enough to cover these expenses and so I'll need to use my savings.  When I was working I saved half my salary each month for several years.  These savings were always intended to supplement my teeny teaching pension until I got my state pension too.  I've also used them to pay my car, house and pet insurance in annual payments as it's cheaper.  Unfortunately a certain puppy used up a large amount of this money in vet bills plus I had to get the building repair work done on the extension.  This means I haven't got a lot of these savings left.  I might just be able to eek them out if I can sell this house quickly.

Luckily, I have another savings fund that I don't touch.  This is what's left of the inheritance I got from my uncle and has always been earmarked for estate agent and legal fees incurred in selling and buying houses.  Plus hopefully a wee bit leftover for new carpets or washing machine etc if needed.  I really really hope I don't need to dip into this fund 🤞

I knew when I made the decision to retire early I might find myself in this position so I'm mentally prepared.  But it's still flipping scary when you see it written down in black and white!! 😱

10 comments:

  1. no matter how much we plan/save there never seems to be enough, here's hoping for a quick sale when you're ready, and no more poorly dogs xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true there never seems to be enough!! Selling it is the easy bit (I already have a very interested friend) but buying the 2 smaller properties is the biggest stress. Plus making it all come together at the same time!! :-) xxx

      Delete
  2. Hi Ali, I retired early from teaching at 55 and initially I supplemented my pension with exam marking and tuition. Unfortunately covid and lockdown put paid to that and I had to tighten my belt considerably. I live in the North East of England so I don't know if this would be the same in Scotland but I was able to claim a reduction in my council tax and water rates due to living on a reduced income. Also it was possible to get help with prescription and dental charges. This helped until I was able to sell my house and downsize. Good luck with your house sale when the time comes. Tricia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As my son and DIL currently live here I don't get the single person discount for council tax but they do make up the shortfall. Luckily prescriptions are free here and I have the best NHS dentist in town. I really need to look into supplementing my pension but fingers crossed downsizing my house will downsize my fixed costs too :-) xxx

      Delete
  3. You can do this. It will take a bit of work on your part, but I know you are up to the task.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I've got the time now to do the research and put in the work! :-) xxx

      Delete
  4. Ooh, that is scary! I just hope nothing comes up that throws a spanner in the works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scary indeed! I've got no debt on my credit card so in an absolute emergency I've got that tucked away :-) xxx

      Delete
  5. Things are definitely tighter than I thought they would be but it's not impossible! And yep, love her to bits :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello
    I have just found your blog
    I stopped work at 53 ( I was a Social Worker and was burnt out after 30+ years). My pension is modest and I am trying to learn how to live on it . My darling husband died last March - he was only 63 and I receive
    half of his pension too - I would give every penny back for more time with him
    Siobhan

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks