Saturday 10 February 2024

Free food haul

 

I got my M&S vouchers this week for the last quarter.  I get vouchers for using their credit card which I use to buy everything from food to petrol and pay it off each month.  It was a surprising £11!  I guess Christmas presents and a few vet bills added to my spending total.  So it was very welcome.  I went to M&S this morning with an open mind and was thrilled to find reduced double cream (600ml size) and minced beef (750g.)  I also got some brown sugar (500g) as I have none left and treated myself to a bag of sweets.  Total cost of above was exactly £12.  BUT I had counted it up as £11.17.  I just assumed I'd miscounted until I got home and checked my receipt.  I can hear Sarah shouting at me through the screen!!!  One of the pots of cream had scanned at full price as the yellow sticker doesn't quite cover the original barcode.  So I was overcharged by 83p.  When will I learn??  But hey, all of the above only cost me £1.

On the way back to the car I popped into the community food place and got some chicory, 4 tangerines, a lemon, 2 peaches, a doughnut and a haggis.  My DIL took a tangerine and a peach.  Everything was free.  The lady was very apologetic saying they didn't have very much today but I got a treat, some fresh fruit and a haggis that will make a few meals.  It's currently defrosting in the fridge.

It was a very chocolatey doughnut!!

I've cooked the minced beef with my usual onion/carrots/red lentils mixture to stretch it.  I reckon I can get at least 8 generous portions to pop in the freezer.  I've left it unflavoured so I can use it in various different meals.  I'll make a ton of butter from the cream later and freeze it too.

The weather is still cold and damp here.  Luckily no ice or snow yet which is unusual given other parts of the country do have some.  But I'm still inclined to stay indoors and be a hermit any way! 😊

12 comments:

  1. I got my vouchers this week too and like you, I use my card for all payments. I’m going to use mine towards food for my daughter’s birthday dinner next month. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only have the one credit card so it pays to use it for everything and clear it every month. Don't think I'll be getting many vouchers next time round though :-) xxx

      Delete
  2. Easily done - and you did really well, even so. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm just out of the way of buying stuff in shops as I do it mostly online now :-) xxx

      Delete
  3. Free food is always welcome. I just wish that we had the same thing here in my province, or at least in my small city in this province.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the wee wins add up over time :-) xxx

      Delete
  4. A good use of your M&S vouchers, and the little mistake is thankfully not the end of the world, annoying but oh so easily done.

    I got mine this week too so I have £12 to spend next week when we are in Wales and near to an M&S to use them. I have always done exactly the same as you put every purchase on my card and paid it off in full every month, Alan's birthday treat hotel stay obviously boosted my total last month.

    I also have almost £40 in Nectar points now and I should get £15 in vouchers from my Booths card ... so I spy a few free food shopping trips for me too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo that's a fab amount to 'spend' on shopping! I've still not resolved the Nectar saga but will get on to it this week. Then I'll have £22.50 to spend in Sainsbury's :-) xxx

      Delete
  5. You did well in M&S despite the overcharge! The Baptist church down the road often has food from Waitrose that would be chucked away and you can just take some! I dined off the lettuces I got for a week and a half with my lunches! It was great!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can't stand food waste. I only ever take what I can use. It's a fab place :-) xxx

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks