Friday 11 January 2013

More bargains!

Sometimes it's just luck if you hit the supermarket at the right time for yellow stickers.  I love it when things are only 10p but I try not be disappointed if they're not at that price yet.  This little haul below was a lucky one costing me £3.50
 
 
 
6 half pint tubs of organic double cream (from a local dairy!) @ 34p each, punnet of apricots 39p, bag of organic rocket leaves 29p, mixed veg 24p and a pizza 54p
 
 
 
The cream was turned into butter and buttermilk.  Both nicely portioned out to suit my regular cake recipes and popped into the freezer. My banana loaf recipe is in ounces hence the 5oz tub but my Madeira cake is metric!! I haven't frozen butter before but know loads of folk do it so I'm giving it a go. 

 
 
And the apricots became jam.  The hungry teen  loves home made apricot jam especially on pancakes.  Not a big amount but enough to last us a wee while.

My new freezer is up and running.  I've never had a chest freezer before so it's taking a bit of getting used to.  I've been filling it up with turkey bolagnais sauce, sliced lemons, lemon juice and lime juice ice cubes (got a bargain bag after Christmas, 1 ice cube is 1 tablespoon) and a few other bits n pieces.  Today is going to be curry and pizza making day.  I'll make a batch of bases and sauce for freezing then putting a pizza or a curry together should take a few minutes whenever the teen feels peckish!

3 comments:

  1. I think you are amazing!!
    Not only getting those bargains, but making use of them asap!
    Churning out your butter and making your jam. I have 'organisational' envy :D LOL

    Have a great weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! I'm so impressed too!! I totally agree with Ragged Wren. Home churned butter and homemade Apricot Jam mmmm frugal decadence yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I managed to get £55 worth of food for £5 last week, just happened to be in the right place at the right time. It was all at 10% plus a couple of loaves for a penny each.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks