Friday 11 August 2017

Productive garden


My wee garden is producing small amounts of fruit and vegetables.  My apples are nearly ready.  My 4 pots of Charlotte potatoes yielded a few meals.  I've picked handfuls of blueberries, blackcurrants and raspberries.  My pea pods are big and fat but the peas inside are small. Nothing in any quantity big enough to freeze or preserve. Ah well.


I have 18 tomato plants in the polytunnel with no flowers therefore no chance of tomatoes.  I'm going to pull them all out and maybe replant with something else edible.  Any suggestions??


You can see in this photo that the plastic is degrading between the green lines.   I'm seriously considering taking it down.  Maybe putting some raised beds in it's place.  Dunno.


We've celebrated a few family birthdays recently.  My 'wee' sister was 50, OH's daughter was 21, my niece will be 18 next week and OH's son will be 16. This photo was celebrating the 21st birthday.  I had a lovely meal from a gluten free menu but I did suffer with some digestive issues for a few days after.  Sometimes it's just not worth the pain of eating out 😔

10 comments:

  1. I wonder why your tomato plants didn't flower - I would be gutted. Ours have flowered but the tomatoes so far have been tasteless. I blame the lack of sun! We have a mini green house with the same sort of plastic cover and it is 2 years old - zip broke after a few weeks and now the plastic is going. Garden not big enough for full greenhouse, unfortunately. We've had a few courgettes, still getting good numbers of potatoes, carrots and 3 parsnips!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm rather puzzled by the lack of flowers. Only thing I've done differently this year is that I grew these from seed instead of buying plants. Glad you're getting some produce!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. Shame about your tomatoes, we had two plants one outside and one in the green house, the location made no difference to the crop, so next year will only grow them outside. I grow fruit, never enough to preserve, but still nice to have fresh fruit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really went for it with the tomatoes, hoping I could make sauce and perhaps dry some. That'll teach me to put all my eggs in one basket!! Agree that it's nice to have really fresh fruit, albeit in small quantities!

      Delete
  3. What a pity your tomatoes weren't successful. It was strawberries for me (I only got five) so I'm hoping they will produce more next year. It's always good to eat your own produce even if there's not a lot of it. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no strawberries at all this year thanks to the chickens eating the plants before I could net them!!!

      Delete
  4. Laughing at your spell caster above!! A spell to produce tomatoes on your plants perhaps?? lol. I didn't get any blueberries this year because a giant pigeon ate them all! Despite our dog running at it every time he spotted it, it still managed to decimate my blueberry bush and has left lots of berries lying in the soil, knocked off. I had intended trying to make some kind of scarecrow, but the weather got in my way! I have lots of sweetcorn growing in my garden and its doing really well so far but I need more sun to ripen it now - fingers crossed, though the forecast is not looking good :( x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the spell caster has left this message on a few posts!!

      Laughing at your dog chasing the pigeon though!

      Delete
  5. I grow fruit, never enough to preserve, but still nice to have fresh fruit.


    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks