Tuesday, 29 August 2017
Well, the excitement of getting my woodburner installed has well and truly worn off. This is what it looks like at the moment. I have to wait a few more weeks before the next stage. Removing the stone fireplace and knocking out a larger opening created a huge mess of dust throughout the whole house 😞 I did get an apology for the mess but that doesn't undo it. A larger area of the walls will need replastered than originally thought.
Then I found out my chimney failed the smoke test so it needs to be lined (this is a legal requirement) at an extra cost of £775 😢 So the original verbal quote of around £2000 has gradually crept up and now stands at just over £4000. That's just for the woodburner. I need a new carpet and obviously will need to repaint. I have savings that were earmarked for other projects that will need to wait until next year.
Ah well, everything will work out in the end. I hope.