Tuesday 22 May 2018

2,000 Bees


Today I had 2,000 bees in my classroom.  I had arranged for a local beekeeper to visit us and he brought a demonstration hive to show us.  The kids were absolutely fascinated!  I was so proud of all the (mostly!) sensible questions they asked.  And yes, bees do poo in case you were wondering!!

I have been interested in bees for a few years after a previous headteacher told me I had to teach a short 3 week topic on either fish or bees (that school had a very prescriptive curriculum!)  I already had an interest in bees but this short topic really instilled a love of them for me.

Luckily twice this academic year we've had cause to talk about bees in in our Food and Farming topic and our current Climates and Habitats topic.  Children just love learning about bees too!

So our lovely beekeeper quickly realised how much I loved bees and suggested I join our local beekeeping group.  They run beginners' courses in the winter and have practical workshops and demos during the summer.  I have already emailed the secretary 🐝🐝🐝

8 comments:

  1. What a great opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done in being quick to accept the invitation. We had a talk at U3A last year annd I enjoyed it very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He told me the course gets filled up really quickly. It starts in January next year!

      Delete
  3. Much as I love bees I couldn't be a bee keeper. It all sounds too scary for me! I look forward to hearing all about it from you though. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, you'll be hearing all about it! Lol!!

      Delete
  4. A lovely opportunity. I look forward to hearing more about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really excited to get a chance to learn more about it :-)

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks