Sunday 29 July 2018

Filling the freezer for less


One of the things I enjoy about being on holiday is having time to cook for the freezer.  I love it!  OH actually said to me this morning "Are you cooking again?" Lol!!  I find it very satisfying to see those boxes pile up especially when I know it's saving me money.

Top picture has 6 portions of cooked chicken breast (plus 1 more I ate at the time) that cost £5.25 for 1kg (Sainsbury's frozen chicken.)  That made 7 portions of chicken @ 75p each.  I made 4 portions of cooked minced beef with veggies.  The mince cost £3.50 for 500g making each portion 87.5p although I have discovered Lidl's steak mince is £3.15 for 500g that would make it 79p a portion. And I made some goat's milk yoghurt which worked out around 80p for 400g (shop bought is £2.40 for a similar amount.)


I made 3 portions of Chicken and Coconut soup and 3 portions of Shakshuka (a sort of spicy tomato stew)  that gets served with 2 eggs and little yoghurt. There are 2 of each in the freezer now.  I also made 4 portions of Chicken Jalfrezi but OH thought it smelled good so we ate it last night (3 of us!) with a little leftover for my lunch today.


The only thing growing abundantly in my garden is rhubarb so I used 1 kg of the stuff to make...


...chutney!! Love the stuff 😋


I made a double batch of Almond and honey pancakes.  One for breakfast and one for the freezer.

All the above meals and portion sizes are from my Body Coach plan.  I'm trying to stick to the portion sizes I was given. I'm back on my healthy eating and exercise plan as I'd like to lose a bit more weight.  I put on 0.5kg on holiday so I'm still on track to my target.

I've also signed up to try a 1 to 1 class in Pilates (half price offer) to see if that will help with my aching bits!  I'll report back on that 💪

5 comments:

  1. My daughter is cooking up a storm ready for back to work on 13th August. She has had to buy a new freezer as her DH decided to speed up defrosting the old one and punctured it! No shame to it as we bought it second hand for her 20 years ago when she moved to her house. I hope you’ll love Pilates as much as I do, Ali. It’s the best exercise routine I’ve ever done and it really improves your flexibility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike! We're not back until the 17th.

      I'm hoping Pilates will help with my back and knees. I am not being fobbed off (by a young physio!) that age will inevitably make me less mobile!

      Delete
  2. You go girl. What an ambitious gal. I wish I had your ambition. I love to fill the freezer and have meals to go on the ready. Very smart idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really saves time (and money)when I get in from work and either can't be bothered cooking or am tempted by junk food.

      Just start by doubling a recipe/meal you make and pop the second one in the freezer :-)

      Delete
  3. Log your blog I am following you on Pinterest and you have given me so many ideas. thanks

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks