Saturday 28 July 2018

Waiting for the sales


Earlier this year I realised that despite repeated washing, my pillows and duvet were done.  They just didn't 'smell' clean any more.  And I reckoned the actual duvet was at least 12 years old!!  So I started looking around for new ones.  Good quality bedding is expensive!  To be fair I didn't spend a lot of time researching prices but I kept it in the back of my mind to look out for any good sales.

Yesterday I was in town to turn my leftover Australian dollars back into sterling ($225 became £115) which I was treating as 'bonus' money. I use the M&S currency shop as I get a good exchange rate if I use my card.  As I walked past the household department I noticed their Egyptian cotton bedding had 20% off.  I do like nice sheets! So clutching my bonus £115, I worked out I could get a 7.5 tog duvet, 2 firm pillows, 2 pillowcases, a valance sheet and a fitted sheet. Total cost £110.  I hope they last as long as their predecessors.

I'm hoping to decorate my bedroom soon.  All it needs is painted (the peach walls HAVE to go!!) and a new carpet.  My lovely mum has offered to make me a quilt so we need to get choosing some fabrics soon, hopefully in the sales.

I also need new towels but haven't spotted any good ones yet.  I'm happy to wait.

12 comments:

  1. That’s where I buy all my bedding when the 20% deals are on. We did up our bedroom earlier this year-completely. Biggest spend was downsizing to a king size bed and pulling up the real wood floor for a carpet. This meant new duvets etc, although I did narrow the covers to fit. I don’t like M and S towels so usually buy from Primark or sainsburys. BHS was always my favourite for towels. Happy decorating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, BHS! I used to get a lot of stuff from there. When I moved here I downsized to a King size bed and I also narrowed some bedding to fit!!

      Delete
    2. Teachers-we invented upcycling/recycling!!

      Delete
    3. Ha ha! That is so true. I once made a superking duvet cover from 2 doubles as they were the last 2 of the design I really wanted and were really cheap :-)

      Delete
  2. M&S stuff is beautiful - great value.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I find it does last for ages so worth spending a wee bit more. Their duvet covers were beautiful but too expensive for me. The one I really liked was £69. So I've ordered one from Ebay for £10. Also Egyptian cotton so it will be interesting to compare the quality

      Delete
  3. TK Maxx for towels! I love their towels and bedding. I bought most of our sheets in TJ Maxx in Florida about 15 years ago. They are designer ones and at that time with the exchange rate being great I got the sheets for about £15 and the quality of them is superb. I even patched one when it started to hole recently however a patch isn't the most comfortable thing in bed so I cut the sheet down for my granddaughters single bed. I too love good bedding, we spend a lot of time in bed in our lifetime so I think its worth it. Another place to look at is the M&S outlets. I got a gorgeous duvet cover in the Parkhead one for £19 reduced from £75. I'm not sure if there are outlets in your neck of the woods but in Glasgow there's one at Parkhead (near B&Q) and Paisley, near the museum if you're interested. Sleep tight!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about TK Maxx. We've got one here in town. There's an outlet place in Alloa near me that has M&S. I'll definitely pay it a visit before school goes back. Thanks for the tip!! :-)

      Delete
  4. I always buy good cotton bedding, nice to use your bonus money, win win for you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very pleased with my win. Good to know I'm not the only one who likes good bedding :-)

      Delete
  5. Love new bedding. We always used flannel sheets in the winter but discovered fleece sheets last fall. Good thing we are retired because they are so cozy and cuddly that we never want to get out of bed!!lol Absolutely love them.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks