Sunday 11 November 2018

Christmas Planning


I couldn't put it off any longer so yesterday I actually sat down and made my Christmas lists.  Today I saw this a few times on Facebook and realised that my gift list neatly fits into the Make and Ethical Buy parts.  I am planning to buy (or have already bought 😉) from small or local companies.  Some of my 'makes' use upcycled items so I'm happy that my gift purchasing habits are fairly ethical. 😊

I've started planning my Christmas day meal (not sure who's coming yet) and once again I'm going to use my Nectar points to fund it all.  I recently won some extra points in a prize draw from my local Sainsbury's so I have a healthy £105 worth this year.  I'm going to use about half of the total for myself and the other half for our local food bank.


Today has been mostly wet and miserable.  I spent the morning making soup using a turkey drumstick for stock.  At £2.62 it was a good price and I got 350g of meat from it! 6 lunches and tonight's meal sorted!!  I've been busy with some work stuff this afternoon so haven't prepped as much food as I normally for the coming week.

Talking of work, one of the younger teachers who had a job interview last week is leaving us at the end of term.  She's joining the Civil Service.  Although she's taking a salary cut, she can work flexi time and can work from home up to twice a week. We're all very jealous!!!

On the plus side, just 6 more weeks of school until the Christmas holidays! 🎄🎅

6 comments:

  1. I am making christmas gifts too, Ali, and doing the reverse advent for the local foodbank. Hope your young colleague hasn’t gone from frying pan to fire, as my daughter left the civil service to go into teaching!! It’s been miserable here today too and I am making more bits and pieces for the charity christmas fair tomorrow. Hope the week ahead is calm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're doing the reverse advent in our staff room. Me and one of the SLAs are coordinating it.

      Today was calm but then I only teach for 1 hour on a Monday!! Lol!

      Delete
  2. I am buying more vouchers for people this year for Christmas. I feel then they can buy what they really need rather than what I think they'd like. I know some people think its a lazy way to gift but I'd prefer a voucher rather than have to go and change something thats been bought for me that either doesn't fit or doesn't suit me or I just don't need. I'm also doing some hampers with my home made soap and jam in them and some bits and pieces bought from our local gift shops, so I feel quite ethical this year too. It's a shame good people are leaving teaching, it needs to be addressed as a matter of urgency I think. It's times like this you will be glad not to be a youngster! I don't envy the young these days, I think its much harder for them in any workplace than it ever was for our generation. Have a good week. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, it's not lazy to buy vouchers or give money. I had years of people giving my boys 'stuff' they weren't really interested in and it lay there until I did a charity clear out. Young people prefer money and I'd prefer knowing my hard earned money wasn't wasted on unwanted stuff.

      I agree about this generation having a harder time than us

      Delete
  3. Your blog looks interesting I have a massive challenge ahead, don't know how we are going to do it, I shall read through your archives for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your challenge! It's completely doable. Set yourself small targets to begin with and they'll all add up before you know it

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks