Saturday 11 May 2019

Weird Weather


This week we've had heavy rain, very low temperatures overnight, bright sunshine, wind and hailstones. Weird weather for this time of year!  Usually May is lovely in Scotland but not this year.  So I was really happy to see the sun this morning!  I checked the forecast for the day and decided to spend my day outside.

I painted all the raised beds at the front.  OH had done a few repairs on them recently so a quick lick of paint had them looking fab again.


This one has shallots and some self seeded calendula.  I'll pull them out as I plant more stuff.


This one has some established flat leafed parsley, a few kale plug plants I've been hardening off and I also sowed some red kale seeds.  In previous years the snails ate my green kale but not the red stuff!  So we'll see how they fare this year.


This one has beetroot, spinach and marigolds.  The 3 tomato plants are just sunning themselves before I plant them in their final pots.


My 4 blueberry bushes are all in full bloom and buzzing with bumble bees 🐝  I topped them up with ericaceous compost recently so maybe that's why they're happy!


I rounded up and cleaned my blue pots ready to fill and plant with some white cosmos.  This is the path to my front door that nobody (except the postman) ever uses.


The mixed salad leaves I sowed in the back garden a few weeks ago are up and doing well.  My peas have wee shoots and my mint is rampaging nicely in it's container.  I sowed some climbing courgettes and spaghetti squash in similar pots.

I'm finding more and more that just being in my garden gives me so much pleasure 😊

My wee garden will produce some fruit and veg this year but going forward I'd like to be more self sufficient.  So I've put my name on the waiting list for an allotment again.  Last time I had just moved to Stirling, started a new job and simply didn't have the time to get the badly neglected plot I'd been given into shape. Hopefully I won't have to wait too long for one.  Last time it was only a wait of 8 months and I had a choice of 2!  Fingers crossed one comes up soon.

8 comments:

  1. You have been busy, love your raised beds and containers, I think small is the way to go, just a little of each. Hope your weather improves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I grow just enough for a few meals here and there throughout the summer. I think Sunday is to be a good day too

      Delete
  2. I love growing veg in the garden too. Mine is slow this year as we were away at the start of the planting season however I'm sure it will soon catch up. Good luck with the allotment. I couldn't manage an allotment if you paid me!! I cut down our massive hedge today and I ache in places I didn't know could ache! Enjoy the sun while it lasts. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I ache all over tonight. But hopefully I'll be fine in the morning! :-)

      Delete
  3. What lovely raised beds, I like the blue colour scheme. We used to have an allotment, but gave it up after constant vandalism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, they're quite a cheery blue! Our garden at school is constantly vandalised by former pupils. They've slashed our polytunnel to bits (twice) and pulled up our living willow den :-(

      Delete
  4. Good job on the gardening! Love the raised beds. We have deer here that eat anything they can get, so we mainly do our herbs in pots close to the house or in beds close to the house. We go to the Farmer's Market for our fresh veggies now. Can't wait til the heirloom tomatoes are in season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't beat a proper heirloom tomato!!

      In my previous house we had issues with roe deer. That's why I had covered raised beds. I brought them with me when I moved. They're holding up pretty well!

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks