Wednesday 3 July 2019

I am so excited!!


I've been given a veggie patch on my local allotment site!! And yeah it looks like this!!! 😮😂

At the start of May I put my name back on the allotment waiting list, thinking I might get one next year if I was lucky.  Yesterday I got an email offering me a (large) veggie patch in their communal garden on the allotment site.  I went to see it and accepted a lovely corner patch near the water tap 😊 If I prove I can keep it in order I'll be offered a full allotment plot in due course.

This is a different site from the one I belonged to before.  It's almost city centre next to the rugby club.  I could easily cycle there!  I had a good walk round it and it's full of quirky sheds, greenhouses and makeshift polytunnels.  Just my style.  The site I was on before didn't allow any of these.  I met a few plot holders and it all felt good.

As it's late in the sowing season here I've ordered some Autumn and Winter cropping vegetable plants to get me started.  Cabbages, cauliflowers, kale and purple sprouting broccoli and maybe some flowers as well.  I've got a month to clear and prep my patch before they start arriving.

Cannot wait!! 🌿

8 comments:

  1. Wow, it looks like a lot of prep work you've got ahead of you. Will you have any help with it? I'm sure you're going to have a lot of fun with it. Kind of nice to get the small plot to start out with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My lovely mum is experienced in running an allotment so I can ask her for advice. I got an email today to say it has been strimmed for me, so that's a good start :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh that's fab Ali, I know where the site is and it's quite level. It's come at the start of the school hols, perfect timing! You'll have lots of fun, meet nice people, find your digging muscles and have some wonderful fresh organic veg this winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect timing indeed! I knew they were down there but the whole site is much bigger than I thought. I'm going down this morning to hand in my form and deposit. I'll take photos and measurements :-)

      Delete
  3. Great news for you. Now you'll have to clear out some space in the house for all the veg you're going to bring home. I see a lot of freezing, canning and dehydrating in your future!! Enjoy - and look after your muscles! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that's the plan if it all grows!! xxx

      Delete
  4. Congratulations and enjoy! Happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am ridiculously excited :-)

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks