Friday 10 April 2020

First week of holidays


As I'm officially on school holidays this week and the weather has been good, most of my time has been taken up with gardening stuff. So in the interests of not boring you all silly with my allotment I'll mention a few other things I've been doing to work on my 2020 goals.

Last month I discovered an eco friendly website that sells a whole range of low/zero waste products.  One of my goals this year is to reduce my impact on the environment so I'm making a start by trying some low waste hair care products and a safety razor (gulp!)  I must confess my hair didn't 'feel' clean with the powder shampoo.  You mix some powder into a paste to create the shampoo.  I'll persevere with it though. However, I thought the conditioner bar worked really well on my bleached ends.

There's loads more great eco friendly products HERE including some oxygen bleach I bought but haven't tried yet.  I normally use my home made vinegar sprays for cleaning but sometimes I need bleach for deep cleaning stuff.  I'll test it and report back.


Ok, back to allotment stuff! 😄 I moved the raised beds from the veggie patch up to my new plot.  I think I've worked out how I'll arrange everything now.


The bigger bed needed some extra pairs of hands to move it as I would have needed to completely dismantle and rebuild it by myself.  Of course, Emma supervised everything!


I also bought a wheelbarrow with my birthday money (thanks Mum and Dad!) Of course I chose a lovely bright colour!!  I just need to work out how to build it first! 😂


I also bought some new fruit bushes.  B&Q is closed to customers but you can order some things through their Click and Collect service.  They've arranged their plants into 'bundles' and you buy a bundle.  Staff choose what's in your bundle for you.  This way all the plants that have been grown ready to sell over the Easter weekend won't go to waste.  I thought this was a great idea.  I ordered 2 fruit bush bundles and was really happy with my 6 plants.  I got 2 blackcurrants, 2 blackberries, 1 gooseberry and 1 blueberry,  all nice healthy plants.  They'll be going on to the plot soon.

And to finish, here's a wee video of my allotment after a few days of hard work!  I'm having a 'rest' day today.



Stay safe and stay home everyone 💗 xxx

13 comments:

  1. I am looking into more eco friendly products everytime I run out of somethng, its not always about buying the cheapest for me anymore.
    Yes put your feet up you deserve a rest after your hard work.
    Enjoy the weekend.
    Marlene x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, cheapest isn't always my first priority even though I am still keen to keep my costs down. It's the balance between quality (works and is eco friendly) and quantity (cheap cost but not eco friendly) :-)

      Delete
  2. A new project such as your new plot is really energising so here's hoping for good weather for you to spend as much time there as possible. I can hardly believe I'm saying this after such a wet winter but our garden could actually do with some rain and there's none forecast over the next 2 weeks! Is there any piped water at the allotments or are you dependent on water butts? Enjoy the rest of your lockdown holiday. Vicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we have water taps all over the site. I chose this plot because it has one nearby. Scottish water is soft water so using tap water is fine :-)

      Delete
  3. I just use baking soda melted in hot water as shampoo. It felt really odd for about the first 3 weeks but after that has been fine....I've been using it for over a decade now :) I should add that conditioner, which I only use occasionally,is vinegar and water.

    viv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look into the baking soda method. I have used a vinegar rinse in the past but my bleached ends need something extra. Once they've all grown out and been cut I'll try it again :-)

      Delete
  4. I've been trying to make eco-choices for the last couple of years as well- it's really nice when you find a new product that's better. I've been using a lovely cardboard deodorant for about 1.5 years now and I love it. We've been using a Lush Shampoo bar (Montelbano) since last June and we are complete converts now!!
    Your new plot is wonderful! Very glad to hear about the fruit bushes! They look super! We wish we'd bought a plum tree during our last visit to the Garden centre (at closing time, the day before the Boris lockdown announcement) but there wasn't a person to ask which one was Dwarf root stock- sad as we now have a gap for one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deodorant is the next product I want to change.

      My mum has an amazing plum tree in her that produces hundreds and hundreds of delicious plums! No idea what variety though. Every couple of years we give it a good prune as it gets too big for her garden! :-)

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks