Friday 26 June 2020

Day 1


Last week I was very excited to see this asparagus shoot pop up in my new raised bed.  Even though it was tempting, I know it will be a few years before I can harvest them.


Today my 5 crowns looked like this!  I had planned to spend the first day of my holiday in the garden but heavy rain stopped play. So I've been inside instead.


I've been making some patchwork hexies from scrap fabric so added a few more today.  All hand sewn and made from fabric that was no use to my Lovely Mum and her quilting friends.


It's slowly growing.  It's totally random as long as patches made with the same fabric are not touching each other.  It's a nice easy project to work on at night or on rainy days.

As always the first day of the summer holiday has been a lazy one.  I have so much I want to do so I need to make a plan! 

8 comments:

  1. I would pick your one asparagus and enjoy it with loads of butter for dipping. I only get one or two stalks each year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know not to harvest any in the first 2 years but it was soooo tempting!!!! I hope it's worth the wait!

      Delete
    2. You shouldn't pick your newly planted asparagus, at least for 2 years. The plant needs all that goodness back into the roots to get strong enough for future harvests.

      Delete
    3. I haven't picked any. I'm in it for the long haul! :-)

      Delete
  2. Love the random patchwork. Perhaps you should write yourself a list of things you want to achieve throughout the holidays. It's working brilliantly well for John Gray :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's very satisfying! You've reminded of my Cook, Clean, Clear and Create plan from 2 summers ago. I'll give it some thought :-)

      Delete
  3. Very exciting and your sacrifice in now picking will bear dividends in years to come, when they are established.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope so, I love asparagus!! :-)

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks