Saturday 27 June 2020

Day 2


It's been a rather rainy day here!  So much for my initial plan of pottering in the garden between the predicted light showers!!  I did harvest some more potatoes for my tea and picked some lettuce and beetroot leaves.


I drizzled them with some of my home made chive flower vinegar. It's such a pretty pink colour! It was a simple but delicious side salad 😋


I had some sorry looking apples left lurking in the fruit bowl.  No idea what variety but they were rather small.  I gently poached them with a tiny bit of sugar.  That's my dessert tonight sorted with some Alpro custard! 😋 I didn't want to waste the peelings so I've started a batch of home made apple cider vinegar.  Never tried to make it before so we'll see if it works!  It's just apple peelings, sugar and water. Free vinegar, so worth a try! (loads of instructions on Pinterest)


I rounded up the finished hexagon flowers I've made this week to stitch together and join them to the quilt.  Each flower takes about 40 minutes to make so I usually make one a night while I'm watching something on tv in the evening.  I'm just making this for fun and to use up fabric scraps but in my head I'm imagining wrapping up my future grandchildren and saying things like 'Can you find the red bus?' 😍

Sue from A Smaller and Simpler Life has sparked an idea for a plan to get myself organised for the next 7 weeks. Watch this space 😉

10 comments:

  1. You've certainly had a worse weather day than us. It's rained a bit on and off but since about 4pm its been dry if cloudy. Not that that tempted me into the garden, I fed all the plants in the greenhouse this morning anticipating the downpours forecast for later today. At least its done though. I love your hexies for a quilt. It's something I keep threatening to do but never quite get round to. I didn't realise you could eat the beetroot leaves, I've grown beetroot for the first time this year and I've no idea what to do with it!! Like you said, Pinterest is full of good ideas! Enjoy your holidays. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love beetroot! I eat the leaves of the ones I thin out. The bigger leaves are quite tough but the young ones are tasty. As for the beetroot itself I eat it raw, bake it, pickle it and make chutney with it. Love the stuff and can never grow enough!! xxx

      Delete
  2. That really IS rain!
    Somehow I'd completely forgotten that small beetroot leaves make a good salad! Brain seized up I think. They will fill the gap before the next lot of lettuces

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By using the thinnings there's no waste! :-)

      Delete
  3. Good luck with the vinegar - it sounds rather good.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept seeing it on the homesteading type Youtube clips and thought I'd try. If it fails, all it's cost me is a spoonful of sugar!! xxx

      Delete
  4. I have the same red bus London fabric, I made a face mask for grandson Will (aged 3) and a matching mask for daddy, they love them. I look at your photo's with guilty eyes, I have loads of made hexagons which I have never used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fab! As it's scraps sometimes it's not possible to get a beautifully centred image. I'm trying to let go of everything having to be neat and matching hence the random placings. Have a go, it's very freeing! :-)

      Delete
  5. Oh I've never tried to make my own apple cider vinegar, what a good idea and virtually free to boot.

    I can see a very productive few weeks ahead of you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy to start off so I guess the secret is to keep an eye on it as it ferments over time!

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks