Sunday 26 July 2020

How MY community food shop works


This photo is from my wee community food shop FB page earlier this week.  Just recently the council has given them this former beauty salon to use.  They clearly say open to all and if you can use it then take it.  Their ethos is simply to stop food waste.  It's only open for 2 hours each day.

Community food shops might be different in other towns/countries but in my wee city there are lots of different ways to access 'free' food.  Needing food and wanting to help reduce food waste can be 2 different things.

We have an excellent food bank service here (I won't comment further other than that it's disgraceful we even need one!!) Local supermarkets donate huge amounts of food and money through their community schemes.  Local businesses and the public can donate food (and money) directly.  As a school this is the main charity we support.  My food bank cannot take fresh goods (bread, cakes, fruit and vegetables) and legally (for health and safety reasons) they cannot accept out of date items.  They use the cash donations to buy fresh food on the days they send out food packs.  To use our food bank you need to be referred.

As I mentioned in my comments yesterday to Marksgran, during lockdown a group of local cafe workers/cooks on furlough set up a kitchen to make and donate food to families.  Supermarkets had a huge excess of fresh food going to waste and were happy to donate it all.  Local businesses like an egg producer and a fruit farm donated produce that would have otherwise gone bad.  This group of amazing people cooked and delivered meals to families and vulnerable people DAILY free of charge.  No referrals, no questions asked.  If you needed food, they delivered.

The community food shop grew from this.  Even after taking what they needed to make the meals there was STILL a huge amount of food leftover and they began offering it to anyone who could use it.  And then if there was any leftover food it went to the local safari park for the animals!!

Now that lockdown has eased and cafes are reopening the food delivery service is continuing under another group of retired ladies.  They get first dibs on the excess food from supermarkets and restaurants.  Remember, most of the food they use would be thrown in the bin!!

So the food bank still gets their food, the meal service still gets first choice of fresh food that cannot legally be donated to the food bank, the community shop gets what's left from the meal service and the safari park gets whatever is left at the end of the day. Supermarkets don't dump their out of date food into landfill.  I think this is an amazing chain that stops food waste AND feeds people.  Something positive to come from lockdown!

I'm always happy to discuss issues in my comments but if you leave a rude or insulting comment I'll simply delete you.

16 comments:

  1. That's a good, wisely, well thought out system to a) help vulnerable needy people and b) to reduce any needless waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that people had the time to think about it during lockdown and it all works so well :-) xxx

      Delete
  2. That's brilliant! Long may it continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope it continues to thrive! :-) xxx

      Delete
  3. I love this, but as you referenced several time,s it takes people willing to make sure each part of the chain functions. I'd love to live in a community that could pull this off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to know if one person came up with it or it evolved organically as lockdown kicked in. Either way, I'm really proud that my wee city (technically we are a city!) has pulled this off :-) xxx

      Delete
  4. A truly excellent scheme that must make such a difference.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The positive comments on each group's FB pages shows that it does make a huge difference :-) xxx

      Delete
  5. I do love that it works where you are. Here, there is a hard core ( quite unpleasant ) gang who swarm the yellow stickers and block anyone else getting to them. When they get to the tills with 30 ten pence pack sof grapes or whatever they then chuck away any that don't meet their exacting standards. But by then , they have spoiled anyone else chances of getting ONE pack of 10p grapes and the staff have to deal with them.

    don't get me wrong, I LOVE that at your place they don't have people like that snatching everything. That's doing it right and its wonderful.

    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame that they spoil it for others. Luckily in my local supermarkets there doesn't seem to be that many hard core yellow stickers gang members! My son is amazing at scoring a great bargain and he says he rarely sees it either :-) xxx

      Delete
  6. I think the system in your city is amazing. Zero waste because at the end what's left goes to the animals ! I wish this was a world wide system. I've seen so many news reports where investigators have gone through the garbage dumpsters behind supermarkets and found so much good food thrown away. It's criminal when so many people could use that food. I hope you don't think I was being critical on yesterdays post, more like I am very envious of your community food shop. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You weren't critical at all! I had a few rude personal comments on yesterday's post so they were deleted. I really hope this food waste system keeps going as it's clear it works :-) xxx

      Delete
  7. This is fantastic and I love that at the end of the chain is the safari park! Lockdown hasn't been all bad, as you say, it gave people time to think and if more people have come up with ideas like this it gives you hope! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoever thought of the safari park is a genius!!!! I've been doing a wee bit of research and there are lots of similar projects throughout the UK. So yes, lockdown hasn't been all bad. I just hope that they continue as we go back to 'normal.' :-) xxx

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks