Sunday 27 June 2021

Making a start

 

And we're off!  I started today with a routine eye test, at least a year overdue thanks to the you-know-what!  As expected my eyesight has changed a bit and I now need varifocals 👓 Of course they're more expensive but I knew this day was coming so was prepared.  I'll collect them in 2 weeks.

I spent some time in my back garden, weeding and just assessing what's there.  To my absolute delight I discovered quite a lot of fruit is thriving.


There are strawberries, wild strawberries, blueberries, red currants, black currants, gooseberries, apples, rhubarb and figs! If I can keep the birds and the squirrel off them I'll have a nice wee harvest in time.


I ate the strawberries but the berries are already in the freezer!  I'll keep adding to them as the rest ripen. I might get enough to make some jumbleberry jam 😋


Garlic, radishes and a solo strawberry from the plot yesterday.  The garlic is rather small so maybe I could have left it longer but it was getting swamped by the rogue potatoes.  It means I can clear that bed ready for the next crop.


I started stripping the wallpaper in my bathroom.  It's pink painted woodchip!


It takes forever to strip just a wee bit but if I strip some every day it'll get it done soon enough.  I've switched off all the alarms on my phone and I'm looking forward to just waking up when my body clock tells me.  Yesterday and today it was 5.30am 😕 but I dozed off and woke again at 8am.  That's much better than my normal 6.30am alarm for work!

8 comments:

  1. So nice to be able to sleep in! Your garden will be a source of joy and of a plentiful harvest. So glad you have that to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was awake early but it was lovely to not anxiously watch the clock and worry about sleeping in :-) xxx

      Delete
  2. The plants look fab - really flourishing. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're thriving on neglect!! Lol! xxx

      Delete
  3. I remember that wonderful feeling of not having to set an alarm to get up! Now I seem to waken naturally at about 7.30 which is about half an hour later than my alarm used to go off. It's lovely to pick your own fruit and veg isn't it. I'm inundated with lettuce at the moment, clearly I was either expecting to eat much more lettuce or I expected the snails and slugs to get tore in however I'm delighted to be able to go out and pick my own. I love the idea of jumbleberry jam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As the bushes are still young I won't get a huge crop so jumbleberry jam is the best option. My blueberries are prolific though, just need to protect them from the birds!! xxx

      Delete
  4. Wood chip wallpaper should be illegal. After spending what felt like months trying to get it off the walls in one property I decided that if I ever saw it again I would reduce my offer to take into account the agro of getting rid of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree!! I've discovered a few layers of different colours so it's been painted a few times!

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks