Sunday 2 January 2022

January Challenges

 

My first January challenge to save money is to eat well from the storecupboard and freezer.  I'm going to avoid spending money in the supermarket although I do have some vouchers and Nectar points to spend if I need them.  I don't have any fresh fruit or veg left but my freezer is full of them so I won't go without.

I made a curry in my Crockpot.  I tried to recreate my local curry house favourite Daal Makhani which is black lentils in a creamy sauce.  Oh my goodness it tastes amazing!!!  I'm glad I remembered to cook the black lentils separately first as they made the water go very black!!  I'm also chuffed that I used my own home grown onions (stored in my wee plastic greenhouse) and frozen roasted tomatoes.


I had some satsumas that were a bit iffy so I juiced them and froze the juice.  I'll probably add it to a carrot based soup later in the month.  I found some tubs of soup in the freezer so that's lunches for back to work sorted.


My other January challenge is to finish the 2 pairs of socks I started knitting.  This turquoise one was started in April last year, can't remember why I stopped.  If I get these finished I'll try to finish the grey men's ones that have been kicking around for ages.  I sense this may be the year to get lots of unfinished projects finished!  

12 comments:

  1. What a smart way to start the year. Homemade soup is on my agenda too - I made carrot and parsnip today with blue cheese sprinkled on top. My usual is Lentil Carrot but, as you said, cooking with what's needing used up is better economy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to throw lentils into most soups just to boost the protein. Cheap, filling and nutritious!

      Delete
  2. Loving your projects and plans. Home made soup is just the best thing and so very frugal. Canned soups and even 'fresh' carton soups just cannot compare.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still love Heinz tomato soup. Not managed to make a decent tomato soup yet. Might challenge myself this year to make a dairy free cream of tomato

      Delete
  3. I love this time of year, home made soups, one pot meals, so much lovely warming food. I'm on a break on knitting socks, I have loads as does my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love a good one pot meal!! I've had a break from sock knitting so it's good to be back on it

      Delete
  4. I love homemade soup too in fact I'm sitting her wondering if I have enough veg in the fridge to make some soup today!
    I gave up trying to knit socks. I just couldn't get my head round either using 3 needles or circular needles. I'm not fond of knitting, I lose interest in it too quickly and rarely finish anything. I've got a cardi I was knitting for my granddaughter when she was 5 and I chose the 9 year old size to give me a chance to finish it before she outgrew it! I never did finish it and she's 12 now, so if you know anyone who needs two arms a back and one front of a cardigan I'm your man!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol!! I go through phases of knitting. I find socks an easy quick (ish) project to take when I'm travelling or hanging around waiting rooms.

      Delete
  5. You have made a wonderful start on your New Year. I am planning to use more lentils as I seem to have lots of them. Never thought of making a curry with them so I will have to give that a try.

    I love the colour of the socks. Such a bright and cheery colour for those dark dismal days of winter.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love lentils, they stretch out soups and stews plus add protein. I bought a huge bag of black lentils last year to replicate a takeaway curry but never got round to it. They hold their shape well but do need pre cooked separately as they make the liquid black!!

      Delete
  6. I too will be using stuff up like yourself. I have about three things on the needles to finish. I also want to start reading properly. I need to be more strict with myself and quit the laziness !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you on the laziness!! I def go into hibernation mode in the winter months. Plus the pandemic stuff has made me very reclusive, just vegging at home!

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks