Monday 18 April 2022

Easter Monday

 


It was such a lovely morning, cold but sunny.  So I went to the plot.  Only the second time this year but there were a few things I had to do.  I was thrilled to see some blossom on my old apple tree.  This is my 3rd season on this plot and it's never flowered before.  The previous plot holder told me it hadn't produced apples for years so I've pruned it hard twice and it seems to be paying off.  Fingers crossed it's perked up and will grow some apples this year 🤞🍎

My main job was to get some potatoes planted.  It's traditional to plant your earlies during the Easter weekend.  Just made it!!  These are the early variety Casablanca, harvested when new and small 😋  I have some maincrop Cara to plant in the coming weeks.  I weeded and dug this long trench by going slowly and taking a few breaks.  But I did it!!  At the same time I chatted to my neighbour about his upcoming retirement.  I told him I was very jealous!!  He was asking me what my plans were for the plot this year and I told him it was simply grow as much food as I can!!


I earthed them up and fingers crossed they survive any frosty nights we might still get.  I harvested some leeks and onions.  They'd been left in the ground over Winter as I wasn't able to tidy up the plot in October. 

They're already chopped up and in the freezer!  As you can see I use the whole leek, not just the white bit.  Brilliant in soup but also a good sub for onion in some dishes.


My bruised knuckle is slowly healing (it got bashed by an apple corer, don't ask!!) 🙄 Luckily it's not my writing hand so shouldn't affect work.  Schools are back tomorrow (Tuesday) here.  I'm working 2 half days and 2 full days this week as I'm still on my phased return.  Genuinely no idea how I'll get on as I still get breathless and a bit tired.  I can't believe this is the last term with my wee kiddos.  There will be lots of outdoor learning with planting stuff and finding mini beasts 🌱🐌🐛🕷  It's highly likely we'll get our "Special Visitors" to inspect us this term but heyho, bring it on.  I'm not going to stress about it, that's way above my pay grade!!  If I'm doing it all wrong after 30+ years then they can show me what to do.  Or I'll just retire 😉

4 comments:

  1. A wise philosophy! Continue to pace yourself for a safe and happy return to full time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slow and steady wins the race! I'm trying really hard not to be impatient!!

      Delete
  2. Pacing yourself is the right thing to do. Glad the bruise is getting better.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It bruised immediately, my son thought I might have broken something. It's an odd one!

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks