Wednesday 13 April 2022

Empty fridge, full(er) freezer

 


I've really been making an effort to use, freeze or preserve all the fresh food I have.  This is my fridge this afternoon.  There's a full unopened pot of soya yoghurt, a couple of opened cheeses, butter and spread, various relishes/chutney, a tube of tomato puree, a filled mini roll (courtesy of my son's Magic Bag from M&S) and some poached pears.

I had some pears that were hard for aaaages then overnight started to turn mushy at the top 🙄  I poached them in a simple syrup flavoured with cardamom as I didn't have any cinnamon sticks.  Actually very tasty! 

I made apple and plum chutney, using up the apples from the Dobbies/Sainsbury's bag.  They were very sour!  The plums were in the bottom of my freezer from last year.  Recipe loosely based on this one HERE  I also finished making the bread and butter pickles.


I'd say my freezer is about 2/3 full.  There's a lot of food in there I need to get used up as I want to defrost it before the summer.  I noticed today my rhubarb is growing well in the garden so I'll need to start harvesting it soon.  I think I still have 1 box left in the freezer so I must use it soon!!

It's been a productive day using up stuff! 😋

4 comments:

  1. You are well supplied for the coming days. I bet that will help keep your next grocery bill down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon I don't need to buy any more food for a few weeks if I'm careful and plan all my meals. I'm looking forward to totalling my food costs this month. I'm hoping there's a significant saving from last month :-)

      Delete
  2. Good job using things up and preparing others to be used later. I am hoping, just like you to keep food costs down this month. Not too sure about that though as I bought extra thinking the sons would be home for Easter. Then the snow blizzard hit and I am pretty sure neither will make it home.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed they make it! If not just roll over the costs into May and freeze etc any extra food. I've only done 1 supermarket shop and had 2 Too Good to Go bags so far this month so my costs are low so far.

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks