Tuesday 12 April 2022

More Too Good to Go and using up stuff

 


Oh dear, this Too Good to Go app is addictive!!  To be fair I was pre warned! 😂 My son's GF and I got a Magic Bag each from the above place.  It was £3.99 a bag (box of Timbits and box of 6 doughnuts per bag.)  Apparently these doughnuts (sorry - donuts!) cost £2.29 to £3.69!!! EACH!!! 😲😲😲 And the box of 20 Timbits is £8.99.  So sad person that I am, I looked up what each individual donut cost and think we each got at least £25 worth of food for £3.99.  I know they do bundle deals etc but really, my flabber is well and truly ghasted!!  And tbh, they just taste ok!!  My son and his GF are raving about them so I'm guessing it's a generation thing 🙄

I researched freezing doughnuts and they do freeze.  Cream/custard filled ones tend to split apparently (although they taste ok) so I picked 3 glazed ones and froze them.  I gave my son my box of Timbits to take to work to share and I'm giving my other son and his fiance the rest.  It was fun stalking the app to get a bag and then standing outside the drive thru at 11.30pm to collect it.  But I'll not be doing this particular one again unless I have an event or something where they would be a good value for money dessert.

I did secure an M&S bag yesterday but they cancelled it as they had no food to give away.  They do refund you quickly.  I'm getting another Dobbies/Sainsbury's one tonight.

Edited to say I cancelled this bag as I realised I didn't really need it.  You can cancel up to 2 hours before the collection time.  Within 5 mins I had my money refunded.  When I checked the app again my bag had already been snapped up so I hope someone else gets the benefit of a lovely bag of stuff.

I blanched and froze the mini carrots from the last bag.  I think these will be added to a slow cooker stew at some point.

I made mango and apple chutney with the 2 mangoes and 4 of the apples.  It's a bit sticky but tastes blooming lovely! 😋  I loosely followed this recipe HERE The apples didn't break down because they were eating ones and not for cooking really so I blended the mixture a bit.  I think that's why it's a bit more sticky.

And I've started a batch of bread and butter pickles as I had a cucumber lurking in the fridge.  Recipe HERE  They'll sit overnight in the salt then I'll pickle them tomorrow.

I'm tired now as I've spent all morning trying to use up what I've got.  Time for lunch now and a wee rest I think 😊

6 comments:

  1. I had trouble converting your donut prices to dollars but I think they are way more than we pay here. You got a good deal! Though I have to say donuts are at their best freshly baked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were a good deal compared to to their usual prices but I wouldn't get them again unless I was bringing them to a large gathering. Totally agree a simple freshly baked one is delicious!

      Delete
  2. Pretty sure your prices are definitely higher than here in Canada. I don't really like Timmy's donuts either. I would much rather have them from our Co-op bakery.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A quick conversion says the donut with the fudge pieces on top is is over $6 Canadian. What would you pay in Canada? My favourite is a simple jam doughnut. You can get a decent Waitrose (posh supermarket) one here for 50p (about 80 cents)

      Delete
  3. Tim's donuts are not what they used to be.

    They arrive frozen to the shop and are flash baked before sale.

    My Sobey's do a better donut. There's a bakery in the next town who's donuts are bliss and worth the trip.

    It's not a generational thing, it's slick advertising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's all advertising and hype. When a Krispy Kreme branch opened up in Edinburgh people came from miles away and queued for hours to get their hands on some. And when they ran out the same people came back the next day to queue all over again!!

      I'm just getting old and cynical when it comes to stuff like this! LOL!!

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks