Sunday 10 April 2022

Too Good to Go

 

I recently signed up to the Too Good to Go app and this afternoon I finally got a bag from my local Dobbies that has a Sainsbury's food hall.  I was really surprised at the quality of the produce.

My Magic Bag cost me £3.99 and contained:

  • 6 apples
  • 2 mangoes
  • sweet and sour sauce
  • baby carrots 
  • 200g smoky cheese
  • 6 premium eggs
  • lemon and lime posset (a posh pudding)
  • coleslaw

Full price would have been £12.70, the reduced price would have been £6.78.  So for £3.99 I have the makings of several meals, snacks and maybe some preserves.  I'll keep a note of what I make for a future blog as a bargain is only a bargain if you actually use it!   

I've made a few local businesses my 'favourites' so I can keep an eye on their future bags. You have to be quick to get some bags!!   I have a local butcher and a greengrocer as well as some well known high street chains on my list.

Since I was in a frugal money saving/use it up kinda mood this morning, I raided the fridge to use up some leftovers.  And to make room for my incoming Magic Bag! 


I had some cooked rice left over from Friday night that had to be used today.  I made a rice crust quiche.  Recipe HERE.   I mixed the eggs (from Tuppence!) with some sad looking spring onions, a handful of frozen sweetcorn and grated in the end of a piece of grana padano cheese.



I filled up the oven with a bag of sweet potatoes that were lurking.  I cut some into wedges and seasoned them with my home made fajita seasoning.  It makes me so happy to see a full oven!  My house guests haven't quite mastered the art of making full use of it when it's on.  I'm sure they'll learn quickly though when they're paying their own electricity bill! 😱😂

Lunch today was some quiche and a few wedges.  Tonight's meal was the same but with added coleslaw and the posh pudding!! 😋

I'm now entering the second week of the Easter break and I 'think' I'm finally getting my mojo back!  I've actually made plans to get and about but my main tasks are garden and plot preparations 🌱🌼 

9 comments:

  1. Our only local too good to go place is M&S at our BP garage, we have not had a bag in ages, as we normally walk and we are not keen in walking on dark nights. I wish there we more local places, but our village is only small.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sceptical before I signed up as I didn't think I had any good places I could actually use. There's an M&S at my nearby motorway services area I'd happily drive to as it's well lit and well populated at night. I think the idea is growing

      Delete
    2. M&S bags we have had are always brilliant.

      Delete
    3. I've managed to bag an M&S bag tonight!!

      Delete
  2. What a great idea - I wish we had something similar here! You definitely have the knack for using every bit of food in your fridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The app is available in Canada!! You'd need to research if it's in your area but it's definitely there. I like challenging myself to use up every scrap of food. Food is getting so expensive I'm determined not to waste any if I can!

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad I have a hybrid car. I haven't filled up with petrol yet this year so I've still got that shock to come!! I do have a Lidl in walking distance but would need to get a wee shopping trolley with wheels if I bought a full week of meals. I think stretching our budgets is going to be the norm this year

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great savings.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! With food prices rising I think we're going to have to work harder at getting value for money and using up every last scrap

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks