Monday 6 June 2022

Progress at last!


A quick pop down to the plot and at least one area looks semi decent!  On the left my early potatoes are doing well and on the right the fruit bed is planted up with 2 blackcurrant bushes, a redcurrant, a green gooseberry (donated from my lovely mum's garden) and a red gooseberry bush (mislabelled as 'grun' but def red!!)  It will all need to be netted so I get the berries and not the birds!! 🐦 I'm not expecting much this year but it's a marathon not a sprint!

The currant side

The gooseberry side

On my next visit I'm hoping to pull out the weeds behind this bed and let the wild flowers I planted last year flourish 🤞  So far we've taken 10 bags of weeds to the recycling centre (they have an industrial hot composter system that kills the weed seeds) and filled 5 bags with the resulting free compost they make.  Win win!


I pruned the redcurrant bush before planting and stuck the sticks into wee pots of potting on compost. If they take, I'll have a few more bushes to plant next year!  More free plants!

I planted some strawberry runners in the asparagus bed 🍓  I chopped and froze some rhubarb from the garden as I didn't have time to do anything else with it.  I've picked some mint leaves to dehydrate to make my own mint tea ☕  It feels good to have made a wee start on preserving home grown stuff for the months ahead.  After months of being unable to do much even the smallest of jobs are big progress 😊 

6 comments:

  1. Looking fabulous. It must be lovely to get to work there again. Helps to make you feel better when you are outdoors and accomplishing something. The composting system sounds great, I wish we had something like that here.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels great! I've really missed being able to pop over to the plot and potter for a wee while. I still get tired but I'm just taking my time. We have a home brown wheelie bin system as well where all food and garden waste gets collected twice a month. You have to pay for it now (it was free until last year) but I make sure I get plenty of the resulting free compost to get my money's worth!!

      Delete
  2. It all looks lovely! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's starting to look ok again if I squint my eyes and ignore the weeds!! LOL!

      Delete
  3. Everything looks wonderful and your rhubarb harvest reminds me that it is time to get out and pick some of ours.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, rhubarb is growing really well in the garden and on the plot!

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks