Tuesday 7 June 2022

Stop being fussy!

 


I'm sure many of you here watch or know about Frugal Queen in France on YouTube.  She regularly posts about living a frugal life in France but she's been around blogland a long time as well.  One of her videos last week really hit a nerve with me.  This one HERE called Get Ready for Rationing.  She never pulls any punches but this one was a cracker!!

She talks about the cost of inflation and the shortages of certain foods being available in supermarkets.  And her first point was Stop Being Fussy!  I didn't think I was but actually I've been justifying to myself that certain brands are worth paying extra for because I like them better.  When I realised that my regular jar of coffee has jumped from £5 to £7, I had a look at the own label coffee.  I got 2 larger jars for less than my usual jar 😲  No idea what it tastes like but I need to learn to stop being fussy!  In a similar vein I got a tin of own label baked beans to try as well.  Beans are beans, right? 🤞


Sugar was 75p for a kilo so I got 2 more bags to add to my store cupboard.   I'll be needing it to turn my currants and rhubarb into something tasty.  As much as I love fruits like pineapple, mangoes, grapes and melons, they are luxury items that I can't grow here.  I can grow strawberries, gooseberries, currants, rhubarb and maybe apples.  Oh and blueberries!  3 out of my 4 bushes are covered in flowers/berries already!  So I'm using what I can grow at home/on the plot and I'm not going to be fussy!!

12 comments:

  1. Not sure coffee and baked beans were the best things to choose for downshifting. I've tried cheap coffee and cheap beans and its an area you really do get what you pay for!
    But I hope you find them OK for you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm already using own label brands for most things now. It wasn't the cheapest coffee there but worth a go. Fingers crossed, LOL!!

      Delete
  2. Our one extravaganza is coffee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like a nice coffee but the cost wasn't even creeping up. It shot up!! How bad can it be?? Lol!

      Delete
  3. Do you have a lidl near by Ali? I buy both instant and ground coffee there and it is really nice. For instant I buy decaf, currently £1.29 for a 100g jar. A friend commented on how nice it was recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have 2! I did buy a Lidl instant one for a wee while but then they suddenly stopped stocking it. My Lidl seems to stock a lot of flavoured coffees but I'll take another look next time I'm in :-)

      Delete
  4. I do not eat baked beans but OH rather likes them. Months ago he tried Hubbards and declared them nicer than Heinz - which, at a third of the price of the branded item, is fine by me 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's encouraging! Not tried them yet but the coffee was nice :-)

      Delete
  5. It was indeed very hard hitting but it needed to be said, all of it. I thought 'Good for you!'. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely agree! No point in sugar coating it xxx

      Delete
  6. I must admit we prefer Co-op baked beans so am already on a saving there - not that we eat them very often. I'm sure it will happen but the Tesco coffee we use in our cafetierre hasn't changed price for years. Coffee is something I won't compromise on; I would rather not drink it than drink a horrible one.
    I've just stocked up on sugar too. 65p a kilo in our Tesco. Is that a regional difference, or just Sainsbury's being more expensive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Sainsbury's don't stock Silver Spoon sugar but I'll be looking out for it next time I'm in Tesco!!

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks