Tuesday 19 July 2022

Hot day tasks!

 

What do you do on the hottest day of the year? You make jam!! 🙄🤣 I had too much rhubarb from the garden and my freezer is already full of the stuff so I made jam.  Rhubarb and Vanilla Gin jam based on this recipe HERE  I used 600g of rhubarb and sugar as that's what I had.


I used the red ends (and froze the rest) so got a nice pinky colour.  Rhubarb jams and chutneys go a muddy colour if you use the green ends too.  It would still taste good though!

I finished the first pink sock!  Second one is already cast on and ribbing nearly finished 🧦 I've started watching Line of Duty (never seen it!) so I'm knitting and TV watching (on my laptop) in the evenings.


I had a huge bag of potatoes that needed to be used up so I peeled and boiled them.  I made a fish pie on Sunday and tattie scones yesterday with some of the leftovers.  Recipe in the recipe section above.

Once they were cooled I froze them.  They reheat beautifully esp in the toaster!!  And I still have some mashed potatoes that I'll probably freeze.

Making jam, boiling a huge pot of potatoes and knitting woolly socks aren't really hot day tasks but since it's too hot to actually safely be outside, I'm keeping busy in the cool North facing side of my house.

Stay hydrated everyone and share what you do when it's too hot! 😎

10 comments:

  1. My first thought was 'Are you MAD?' ... but it looks like gorgeous jam and it is probably something I would have done back in the day of the Aga on a roasting hot day, so who am I to doubt your sanity!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol!! I still miss my Aga and the dogs would always be lying against it even on hot days!! I am chuffed to bits with the jam as I don't really like rhubarb jam. I was just using up my excess produce!

      Delete
  2. Love how your sock matches your jam. I love tattie scones and soda scones too. Do you use 5 pins or a circular needle for your socks, Ali? Have some eye popping 4ply that I bought in a sale ready to start when it’s a bit cooler. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha so it does! I use 4 double pointed Brittany Birch short needles to knit socks. 20 stitches on 3 needles and 1 to knit with. I have tried the magic loop thingy on a circular needle but just prefer DPNs. And I'm aware that for anyone who doesn't knit that won't mean a thing!!

      Delete
  3. So glad you liked my Rhubarb & Gin Jam, thank you for sharing with your readers:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Honestly the best rhubarb jam I've made :-)

      Delete
  4. Hmm, those scones look very interesting. Might have to give them a try as anything in the least dessertish that I can freeze is something useful to me.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're delicious and a staple part of a full Scottish breakfast. You can fry them or reheat them in the toaster. I like mine with baked beans and a fried egg :-)

      Delete
  5. Of course you make jam - why ever not. ;-) The tattie scones look amazing too. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I couldn't go outside as it was 32 degrees here and the kitchen was actually the coolest part of the house!!! xxx

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks