Tuesday 12 July 2022

Day 18: Sourdough

 


I mentioned last week that I'm venturing (again) into the world of sourdough.  There's a lot of evidence that people who have difficulty digesting grains (me!!) can eat sourdough products without issues.  I've tried in the past to make my own gluten free sourdough starter from scratch but it's definitely trickier when you use GF flour.  So I bought a GF dried starter.  It cost me £6.99, which is less than the actual cost of 2 GF sourdough loaves!!  

So I fed the starter with gf flour and filtered water for a week and to my surprise/delight it bubbled and fermented just like all the Youtube videos I've watched!  I used this recipe HERE and watched the video HERE  It's pretty straightforward but not a quick process!!  I just used Doves Farm GF plain flour.


I must confess I wasn't convinced after the first proving but I kept going and thankfully it all worked.  The finished loaf is crusty and chewy and tastes better than any commercial GF bread I've ever paid a small fortune for! 


Once it had cooled I sliced it into 10 slices and froze some.  As it has no additives/preservatives it won't last long before it goes hard.  It will make great toast and warmed up a bit for dipping in soup.  No idea why I wrote the18th on the bag though!! 😂

I've heard that as my starter keeps maturing and developing the yeasts it will get stronger.  I'll hopefully be able to refine the recipe each time until I bake the perfect bread 😋

I also made some sourdough pancakes using Lisa at Farmhouse on Boone's recipe HERE She has loads of sourdough recipes on her channel.  They were delicious!!  I halved her recipe as I didn't have a lot of starter and made 8 large pancakes.  They look more like Scotch pancakes (or drop pancakes) than the American style fluffy ones. I'll definitely be making these regularly as they're so easy and yummy with my Lovely Mum's blackcurrant jam.  I rolled them up to eat them! 😋

A teacher friend messaged me yesterday to share her watercolour painting of some bees and I showed her my sourdough starter.  She said how lovely it was that we have the luxury of time and the head space to do these things.  I totally agree 😊

Did I mention I've also started brewing some kombucha as well??  

8 comments:

  1. My 5 year old grand daughter is awaiting confirmation of celiac disease so watching your posts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww wee soul. Hopefully a quick diagnosis will help. Eating gluten free is easier now than it used to be although it does mean reading labels carefully and cooking from scratch

      Delete
  2. Your sourdough looks so appetising especially with home made jam. I have kefir every morning on my porridge to help my stomach. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a look at kefir but thought as it was milk based it wasn't for me. But I googled it and it seems you can do it in water. I think one to try in the future :-)

      Delete
  3. Your sourdough bread looks lovely. I did try making my own sourdough a long time ago. Home-made bread is always so much better than normal commercial stuff. Unfortunately I got swamped with the amount of starter we had - we don't eat much bread - and gave up. Using some of it for pancakes etc seems a great idea.
    Will you be able to keep making it when you are back at school?
    Looking forward to hearing how the kombucha turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you check out Farmhouse on Boone on Youtube, she did a video on how she used her sourdough over a 2 week period. You can make pizza bases, pancakes, muffins, cake etc with it. She has a whole playlist of sourdough recipes. In fact she hardly ever makes bread as she says it takes up too much time!! I think I'll be able to keep doing it when school goes back. It only takes a few minutes each morning to feed it. And if I start a loaf on Friday after school I could bake it by the Saturday evening. Then I have bread for the week ahead.

      Kombucha is looking good so far!

      Delete
  4. You might be interested in www.miteigenenhaenden.de
    She also bakes GF bread. ~ skye

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks