Wednesday 10 August 2022

Day 47: Potatoes

 

I finally started digging up my potatoes!  These are actually earlies (Cassablanca) despite being quite big!  They never flowered but they've died back a bit so I thought I'd see what they were like.  The ground is really dry so they were nice and easy to dig.


I've already boiled about half the above basinful (that's all I could fit in my huge pot!) to make mash.  I had some with just butter (goat's) and chives.  Oh my goodness, they were delicious!  😋

5 generous portions are already in the freezer!!  I still have the other half of the basin to process plus the rest still in the ground on the plot!  I don't think earlies/new potatoes keep well (I'll need to research that) so I'll cook them all in some way.  I still have my maincrop Caras to lift as well.  I know they store ok in my garage.

So the best producers grown on the plot so far are rhubarb, raspberries and potatoes.  Basically the 3 things that thrive on neglect!!  

I also removed a rotten fence panel from the old raspberry/strawberry patch. 

It really opens up the area where I want to add some more of the B&Q raised beds.

I also got my hair cut!  It hadn't been cut for 13 months so was rather long!!  Luckily I have a 'style'  that doesn't need regular maintenance and I can easily put it up for work (remember the nits situation?!)  It cost me £47.50 for a cut and blow dry.  That's a bit pricey for here but if it lasts me a whole year then it's worth it!!

Cheese!

13 comments:

  1. We had new tatties and oatmeal last night and mine had some syboes chopped on top-yum. Your hair is fab and I’m thinking hairdos will be even dearer as fuel prices increase. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo yum, that's a proper Scottish dish!! A hair cut is def a luxury item for me now at that price

      Delete
  2. Hard to beat the great flavour of spuds straight from the soil, and always satisfying to get some in the freezer for another day.
    Nice haircut
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's quite swishy today, lol!!

      Delete
  3. I just have a dry cut when just having my haircut ( no wash or blow-dry) and that is always a lot cheaper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doh!!! I never even thought of that. I used to get a dry cut when i was a poor student many years ago. Thanks for reminding me :-)

      Delete
  4. Our potatoes are slowly being dug up. Those that we leave in the ground will be dug up in late fall and put in the cold storage room.

    Love your hair cut.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll be storing my main crop of Cara if blight doesn't get to them first. So far we're ok as it's been so dry and hot

      Delete
  5. Your hair color is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's slowly turning a nice silvery colour on top but still dark underneath at the back

      Delete
  6. Your hair looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have beautiful hair, it looks really good after it's annual 'trim'. It must grow fast!!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks