Friday 30 December 2022

2023 Goals: A year of more

 

This year's goal was to survive and thrive and while I definitely survived, not too sure about the thriving bit!!  Going into 2023 I've thought really carefully about what my goals for the coming year will be.  I've decided it's to be a year of more.  More of the good stuff I started in this first year of my 4 year challenge and I want to take it even further than I thought I could at the start.

So, here are my 5 goals for 2023!

1.  Live more frugally and simply

While this year has seen me tighten my belt and save half my salary most months, I think I can do more.  After analysing my spending, I'm going to set a strict budget for each area and stick to it.  I think I can simplify my eating habits (saving more money) and in turn become a lot healthier.  I'm going to try ditch my Diet Coke habit!!  And no takeaways!  My health took a big hit this year and I don't want that to happen again.  Living more simply should help.

2.  Save more than £10k

I managed to save £10k in just 9 months of this year so if I can do the same again every month in 2023, I  should be able to save even more towards my retirement goal.

3.  Buy no more new clothes or house items

I have more than enough clothes and shoes even after my big declutter to move into the downstairs bedroom.  I definitely do not need to buy any more.  However, I'm setting myself a challenge to make/upcycle/buy second hand anything I might need.  For example, my jeans are a bit threadbare but I'm not buying 'new' ones if they burst.  

The same goes for house items although I have budgeted to repair or replace my leaking patio doors and repair/replace 3 'blown' double glazing units on 2 windows.  I do need flooring for the kitchen and utility room and will need a new carpet for the room that's to be my son and DIL's living room.  These things have already been budgeted for but I will seek out the most frugal options I can find.

4.  Grow more fruit and veg by improving my soil health

Thanks to being ill for a large part of the sowing and growing season my garden and allotment plot didn't yield as much as I'd hoped.  But I've done a lot research on permaculture this year and have realised that the health of my soil needs a huge improvement.  Commercial fertiliser is going to be expensive and in short supply so I need to be able to produce my own soil improvers.

5.  Spend more time at home and keep work at work!

This one is going to be hard but I need to stop bringing work home and doing extra/unpaid stuff at home.  When I'm at home I should be doing things I enjoy.  I think once I have my craft room up and running properly I'll be more productive at home.  I realised that this Christmas I didn't create a single home made item for gifting.  That's not like me at all.

Totally doable goals I think.  There are a few other challenges I'm going to set myself as well but these are the 5 big ones.  Have you set any goals for 2023?  Any plans?  

16 comments:

  1. I like the look of your plans for 2023. Good luck with it all

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck with it all Ali. I don't do resolutions, but I do have goals in mind and shall tweak as I go along. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aril! I stopped doing resolutions years ago, never kept any of them so was a waste of time and energy :-)

      Delete
  3. Good luck with your plans - it is good to feel you have some savings behind you and you did so well last year. Wishing you a happy and healthy 2023.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It feels good to have those savings tucked away :-)

      Delete
  4. Those are good goals for the coming year and it's what I did so that I could retire early. I finished work a year ago today and it's been such a lovely year. Financially it's right but the freedom more than makes up for it. You will smash those goals because you are so focused on leaving your employment. Good luck and I hope you keep us updated x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad you've had a lovely first year of retirement. It's good to know it can be done and yep, I am so focussed on leaving teaching!! :-)

      Delete
  5. Meant to say tight not right lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guessed you meant tight but right works in the context too!!

      Delete
  6. Great and doable goals - I'm spending some time thinking about my way forward this year - feels a positive thing to do. Good luck with yours x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do like a good plan but I've gotten used to changing them when I need to. I'm definitely more flexible now as I get older! :-)

      Delete
  7. Your goals are well thought out and motivating-good luck as you focus on retirement. I hadn’t spent any money at all since our Asda delivery on the 22nd but finally walked to the Sainsbugs Local for milk, fresh veg and fruit this morning. Best wishes for 2023. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Well done on not spending any money. Just realised I haven't spent any since my Sainsbury's delivery on the 18th!! :-)

      Delete
  8. Your goals sound amazing and very worthwhile. Good luck with them - that last one won't be easy but so important.
    I hope you have a wonderful New Year. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy! Yep, that last one is so important to my well being that I'm willing to really work on it :-)

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks