Tuesday 3 January 2023

Free toiletries

 

I ventured out to Sainsbury's this morning.  I haven't physically been in the store for at least a year.  My plan was to stock up on toiletries using my Nectar points and get a few food basics.  When I checked my account online last night my balance was much lower than my last online shopping receipt so I asked the lady at Customer Services if she could check it.  According to them I had £37.50 available to spend, not the £40 I thought.  It will 'catch up' eventually but that was 3 different amounts I got when I checked within a 24 hour period!!

I made a list of my basic toiletries that I use on a daily basis (see end of post) and had a good look at prices to see what I could get for my money.  I knew which items I was low on.  After a lot of adding up on my wee calculator 😂 I finally got:

2 x Dove deodorant sticks (2 x £2.75)  £5.50

8 pack of razors (men's are cheaper than women's) £3

Oil of Olay moisturiser (sensitive)  £6.50

Eye liner pencil £5

Eye make up remover £3

Aussie Hair leave in conditioner £5

Multivitamins £9

Total £37

I noticed that my multivitamins were on a 3 for 2 offer so I picked up 3 packs in total (3 months supply) and got another 1 free!   If I shopped around and went to somewhere like Superdrug I could get some of the above cheaper but as they were free with my points I'm happy! 😊


It's not to everyone's taste but I picked up a block of lard (60p) to do some pastry making.  Lard is cheaper than oil and after all, it's what our parents and grandparents used to bake.  I have a lot of stored GF flour that's nearing a use by date.  I've noticed in the past that it definitely doesn't keep well after it's date and tastes stale.  So I'm making some pasties and pies to freeze.

Veg prices were a bit high and the quality of some didn't look great.  I got the cheapest potatoes I could find and some sweet potatoes that were on offer.  Undecided what I'm going make but I've got a lot of stuff to use up in the fridge.

Including the last of the venison joint cooked on New Year's day 😋

I also got some tinned tomatoes, GF pasta (which is now only 5p more expensive than normal pasta!!), coffee, chicken legs, Alpro plain yoghurt, some reduced crisps, GF rolls, Diet Coke 😳 some sea salt and a few jars of spices for the storecupboard.  Final total minus points and offers was £41.10.  I forgot to get loo roll so will need to pop out again to Lidl but I hope that is enough to last me a few weeks!

My list of essential toiletries

  • toothbrush
  • toothpaste
  • Oil of Olay moisturiser (sensitive)
  • make up remover
  • deodorant
  • shampoo/conditioner
  • perfume
  • soap
  • hairspray
  • hair mousse/gel
  • body lotion

Make up essentials:

  • powder
  • blusher
  • eye shadow
  • eye liner
  • mascara
  • lipstick/gloss

8 comments:

  1. Great use of your vouchers when they can be used for necessities. We use all simple products as we are a family of sensitive skin. I stopped using the Simple wipes last year as they are not environmentally friendly and now use micellar water and homemade wipes that get washed with the towels. Enjoy the rest of your time off and hope you are not downed by so many bugs this term❤️ Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm working on getting fit and healthy again so I can fight off the bugs. I say that every holiday but I live in hope!! xxx

      Delete
  2. Like you I'm using lard again, the price difference is huge and it makes excellent pastry.
    I love your essential toiletries list, a great idea to help avoid buying unnecessary stuff.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seeing a few folk talking about using lard. It fell out of fashion really but it's less processed than a lot of oils and spreads! xxx

      Delete
  3. Very well done. I have always used either lard or shortening for making pastry. I think it is because it is what my mother used.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I started cooking years ago I used oil as it was supposed to be 'healthier' so I'm interested to see how it performs by comparison xxx

      Delete
  4. I think lard makes the best pastry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree! Although my veggie DIL won't be able to eat it xxx

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks