Thursday 5 January 2023

Knitting inspiration!

 

I was looking for a new knitting project that wasn't going to cost me any money.  My DIL and I have been sorting out cupboards and found a huge bag of yarn my Lovely Mum gave me years ago for use at school.  I remember I did some weaving with a few classes and had a wee creative craft club on Friday afternoons.  My DIL crochets so she was thinking of making more animals with clothes. I went looking on Pinterest for a stashbuster cardigan and found a few ideas.  Love the above one!!!

I also found this one which is a knitted knock off Etro crochet design.

This is the original catwalk version!  I love the mix of colours and textures.  So an idea was born! ๐Ÿ’ก

The biggest circular needle I have is a 6mm so I'm aiming for a sort of Aran/chunky weight of yarns.  It will mean I need to double and mix strands but I'm hoping the mix of stitch patterns will create the effect I'm looking for as well.  I cast on 200 stitches (100 for the back and 50 for each side) and will knit rows/stripes/blocks as I feel like it.  I'll knit the sleeves on straight needles.  

There's no pattern or vision in my head other than to use up all the yarn I have stashed from previous projects.  I will not buy any yarn but will probably get some from my Lovely Mum as she still has a sizable stash of her own!!  The above is Aran pure new wool from New Lanark mills in heather.  My aunt knitted me a jumper in this years ago and for some reason we had 5 x 100g extra balls leftover.  I think we maybe had to buy a pack with a set number.  I'm allocating 3 for the back and 1 for each sleeve.  


I'm still knitting socks too ๐Ÿ˜„  I've always got a pair on the needles.  This one is at the toe shaping point.  The cardigan is chunky and knits up quickly whereas the socks are portable and can go with me.  No idea how long the cardigan will take but it's been fun researching and sorting out suitable yarns! ๐Ÿงถ

12 comments:

  1. I love the idea of the cardigan-it’s just the kind of thing I love to knit! I’m still clearing out cupboards too and have several bags ready for various charities/friends. Keeeep knitting. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's kept me busy today!! :-)

      Delete
  2. Wow this is amazing - I'll look forward to seeing progress, so creative
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I seem to need a creative project to keep me sane. I didn't have one last term so maybe this will be a good one! :-)

      Delete
  3. i like the way you always say my 'lovely' mum when you mention her, it's so nice xx good luck with your cardigan project, i look forward to seeing your progress x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, she reads this blog so I have to be nice!!!! Cardigan has a good few inches done already! :-)

      Delete
  4. Ohhh, I love the look of that cardigan. I can't wait to see the finished project. Those green socks are lovely.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All this knitting talk goes 'Whoosh' right over my head .... but I LOVE the colours of those socks, you are going to have two very happy feet!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reminds me of Kaffe Fasset's patterns from back in the 70's/80’s. I loved a bit of KF but only ever managed a scarf! Wish I’d kept the book I bought, I might have had the patience for it now….(Karen S)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! I love his use of colour, very me at the moment! :-)

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks