Sunday 8 January 2023

Powerless

 

We had a power cut yesterday.  Initially I thought it was just my house that had an issue as I had lights but everything else had tripped the fuse box.  My son and I checked that neither had done anything ie plugged something in or switched something on or off.  We checked everything we could check then the lights went out too.  I looked outside and my neighbours on either side and across the road still had lights on.  So it was a reasonable assumption that I had an electrical issue.  I called an emergency electrician who came out within the hour who confirmed there was no power coming into the house.

So last night it cost me £120 to discover that some type of power cuts can affect some houses and not others.  Yes, my neighbours on either side and across the road (and round the corner!) all had power while me and every third or fourth house didn't.  There are only 5 houses on my little row (I'm in the middle) and I was the only one with no power.  Something to do with circuits apparently... 😡

Urghhhh!!!  Anyway, my emergency basket of torches, candles and matches was tested for the first time.  Thank goodness for that rechargeable work light I bought a few months ago!  We were able to light one room for a few hours.  I made a simple one pot pasta and cheese dish for supper as I could light the gas hob by matches 😊

Close up of textures

In other news, my stashbusting cardigan has grown lots over the last few days.  I'm loving having a project that is quicker than socks!  Plus I've had a search through all my wool stashes and found a few good single or half used balls!

I have a whole bag full to choose from now!  It's very therapeutic as I zone out while I knit while I binge watch Elementary on my laptop.  The only subscription I have is my Amazon Prime so I'm making full use of it!!  Plus it stops me overthinking about going back to school tomorrow 😟

15 comments:

  1. Happy New Year!
    How annoying to have to spend £120 to find out about the electric. I only know about the different circuits because when we lived in a purpose built block of flats we had a power cut that affected all the power in the flats, but not in the communal areas or outside. The sub station had blown up - literally, huge bang 😲- and the power inside our flats came from there but the outside power came from somewhere else. Very strange.
    I am so envious of your knitting ability. It's pointless envy as I don't have the talent or patience to try again. My mother and nan were expert knitters and totally despaired at my efforts. The knitting gene definitely passed me by, but I know quality when I see it 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too! It was very annoying but it was something we genuinely didn't have a clue about. Hey ho. My mum and aunt are the expert knitters, I'm just experienced. I've been knitting all my life but if you look closely it's all just knit and purl stitches. Interestingly my sister can't knit but she never had the patience to sit and learn. Or practise!! :-)

      Delete
    2. The cardigan is coming along nicely. All knitting is just knit or purl. That's how I talked myself through my first lace shawl. Can't read the new charts but can follow an ancient written pattern.

      Delete
    3. I've tried to knit a few lace things but I just don't have the patience!!! I like things that are fairly simple or let the yarn do the talking! :-)

      Delete
  2. Down here infrastructure is run by UK Power networks and we can text to find out about power cuts and get updates.
    We found out about circuits in the big 1987 storm when our electric was off for a week and next door neighbour only for 4 days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have SP Energy Networks here and they didn't put anything up on their app for over an hour!!! Very annoying!

      Delete
  3. What a pain the bill for checking the electricity but I think lots of us would have done the same.
    The cardigan is making great progress
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm pleased with it so far. Trying not to overthink the callout charge!!

      Delete
  4. Our estate is on a three phase which means every third house will be off and the rest OK - what a shame you didn't know it was an expensive discovery but one I'm sure you won't make again. Your call out charge is expensive. Your knitting is incredible - I am so envious - I am struggling with just a basic baby jacket in stocking stitch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's really not that incredible, just a bit showy cos of all the colours!! Lol! Keep going with the baby jacket. That's how I learned about shaping etc before tackling a bigger garment :-)

      I'm using my expensive power cut mistake to make sure everyone knows about it now. Never knew a thing about it and neither has anyone else I've told so far!

      Delete
  5. How strange to be on different circuits to your neighbours, no wonder you called someone out. Still you'll know for next time. That stashbusting cardigan is going to look amazing, will the two front pieces have different stripes to the back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently the different circuits is a thing! I mentioned it at work today and only 1 other person knew about it. But yep, I'll know in future to check on more neighbours!!
      I'm knitting the 2 fronts and the back as one piece on a circular needle (200 stitches!) and then I'll divide the stitches to create arm holes. I haven't quite worked out the length yet. But the fronts and back will be exactly the same. Both sleeves will probably be the same as I'll knit them together, maybe on separate needles. I'm rather enjoying the 'design' aspect! LOL!!!

      Delete
    2. Oh gosh, that sounds complicated, far too complicated for my 'I can only knits squares and scarves' brain to work out. I can't wait to see the finished cardi, it will be a work of art.

      Delete
  6. That is quite the bag of yarn there. I love the colours of that sweater. What a great way to use up orphan balls of yarn.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I used to have a lot more but I'm gradually using it up or donated it to school :-)

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks