Tuesday 10 January 2023

Strike 2!

 

I'm on strike again today.  I've just stood for 2 hours on a very wet picket line waving placards at the handful of cars that pass our school.  I don't like striking but it's a necessary tool in the current economic climate we find ourselves in.  

We had a visit from someone at HQ so we got a chance to ask him some pertinent questions. According to COSLA and the Scottish government there's no money for public sector pay rises.  I totally get that. But we didn't get our annual pay rise last year (that's why we're striking!) so now 2 years later thanks to inflation we've effectively had our salaries cut.  As have many other professions.  Even a 10% increase won't match inflation now.

So I'm doing no work today.  Once I've warmed up I'll be watching Elementary and knitting more of my cardigan!!

12 comments:

  1. Gosh you deserve a lovely hot bath after that. I hope you got some friendly toots of the horn from passing motorists to help keep your soggy spirits up. It's a shame that it's come to this for so many professions but I totally understand the need for strike action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Currently sitting with a hot water bottle to get warmed up!! People deserve a fair pay for what they do even if they work for the public sector.

      Delete
  2. I agree - it's not an easy decision for public sector workers to make - but you should be treated fairly
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Public sector workers don't get bonuses or perks so fair pay is important. Thanks for your support :-)

      Delete
  3. You have my support and well done for going out demonstrating about public sectors cuts. Hope you have warmed up and enjoyed your knitting. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Took my DIL to the Dr then Tesco to pick up prescriptions and bagged a few yellow stickers. Back home in the warmth again! :-)

      Delete
  4. Tooting my virtual horn in support for you and your fellow teachers.
    Stay warm! ~ skye

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our youngest son is working on his contract with the city he works for. So far no strike action, but they have been without a contract for 2 years and what the city is offering does not even come close to inflation. Funny thing the city council gave themselves raises which more than meet inflation rates. Hope you get what you need.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, they always seem to find money for their own pay rises! Plus they get expenses, subsidised lunches etc We're not asking for a fortune, just a fair pay for what we do

      Delete
  6. It is awful when professions feel that the only action left is to strike. My sympathies - you must be so torn.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very torn! But the profession is struggling to recruit and retain good teachers. No wonder!!

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks