Sunday 15 January 2023

Meal prepping and sleeves!

 

I popped to Tesco really early this morning to pick up a few groceries.  Amongst other things, I got a large chicken, 750g of steak mince and 2 bags of baking potatoes.  Imagine my delight to find 5 potatoes in a bag of 4!! 😂 They were on offer any way plus they had a clubcard price so I got 9 large potatoes for 70p!


I cooked the mince with 3 grated carrots, 3 small chopped onions and a large handful of red lentils.  Apart from a splash of Worcester sauce I left it unseasoned so I could use it later for bolognaise, chilli or a cottage pie.


I portioned it into 6 tubs and it's already in the freezer!  Works out at under 80p a portion. I baked the potatoes with the chicken (I had 1 of them for lunch) and they'll live in the fridge for meals this week.


The chicken was also portioned up (6 tubs and 2 servings for today worked out at 69p a portion) and they were frozen along with the carcass.  I'd made a big pot of soup yesterday with last week's leftover carrots and sweet potatoes so I didn't need to make chicken stock for soup today.  So I have 12 meals' worth of meat, 5 mugs of soup and a chicken carcass in the freezer for the week ahead.  I also boiled some eggs to use as breakfast/snacks for work.  I do like to feel organised for my working week!

Work is ok.  I'm trying to not overthink it when I'm there.  I do my best for the kids who want to learn and deal with the behaviour issues as they happen.  So far I've not brought any work home and haven't done any work over the weekend.  Long may that continue!


 Work on the utility room continues.  It'll be done when it's done! 🤷


And I'm now halfway up the sleeves on my cardigan!!  I'm knitting them both at the same time so they are the same.  I'm really having fun with it 😊

10 comments:

  1. Your knitting is awesome. Great idea to knit both sleeves at once.

    My son teaches as well and lately they have been giving him lots of middle year (Grade 7 and 8 students) to try and whip into shape. My son is a rather large (body builder), bald and tat covered male. However this year he has a rather rambunctious group of grade 7 boys. Most of them are staff members children and they know how badly they behave. So one day they gathered in a group and asked my son if they were the worst students he ever had. His answer was "Yes". They then asked if he could actually say that... His answer was " You asked and I told you the truth. If you don't want to know the truth, don't ask the question." The parents all know what a handful they are and back him 100%.

    God bless.

    God bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do think the standard of behaviour in schools across the world has declined and it's not just from 'poorer' families/areas as your son knows only too well!!! I don't know what the answer is though

      Delete
  2. The utility room/mini kitchen is looking great, everything you need and in such a small space. You plan re your working day at school sounds like the best way forward, and bringing no work home is a really good idea for as long as you can do it. You do need time to yourself, especially when you are knitting such lovely sleeves. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am going to try very hard to make time for myself away from work especially in the darker months when I can't get to the plot

      Delete
  3. Mavis Butterfield16 January 2023 at 15:42

    Ali, do you remember how much you paid for your whole chicken?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I paid £5.50 for a 2.2kg chicken. Sadly not free range (Avian flu restrictions) so just a bog standard bird

      Delete
  4. i've just finished a batch cook, i love the organised feeling it gives me, i'm looking forward to seeing your cardigan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love doing a big batch cook at the weekend so I'm organised for the week ahead!

      Delete
  5. Amazing progress on the cardigan sleeves
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks