Thursday 16 February 2023

Huge big thank you!!!

 


Thank you, thank you, thank you for all your lovely comments on yesterday's post!! 😘 I also posted in a frugal group on FB and got so many positive comments too.  It's a huge relief to have made the actual  decision.  I just have a huge permanent grin on my face! 😁 I know there's a bit of paperwork to do and I still have to inform the right people (ie my headteacher and my colleagues!) but it's all very real now.

I popped down to the plot this morning to check it had survived the Winter.  It's not too bad.

On the way home I went to Dobbies first to spend my Christmas voucher from my sister.  I got 60 seed potatoes and 50 onions sets for £14.97.  One of the bags says the varieties will continuously produce potatoes for 5 months!  Let's hope so!!

Then I went to the big Lidl in town and got a reduced extra large chicken for £3.35.  It's currently cooking in the Crockpot.  The label says it feeds 6 to 7 people.  I'm pretty sure I can get more meals than that from it!  Plus I'll make stock for soup with the bones.

My frugality mode has really kicked up a notch knowing that I only have a few months of full salary left.  Operation retirement has begun in earnest!! 

14 comments:

  1. The plot looks remarkably good. I know to some it will seem a mess, but it's just the most desolate looking time of year for any veggie patch. allotment, food growing garden etc. It will literally take you about four visits to have it up and ready for production again.

    And what fun it's going to be planning full food production again ready to save you money over the coming year, and all the thieving little critters will stop attacking and eating everything once Spring is here and they have so many more options and there are also lots more people coming and going on the allotments.

    If anyone can do 'frugality mode' it's you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pleasantly surprised and when you look closely you can lots of wee buds on things. Yep, a few weeding and tidying sessions and I'll get it ready to get growing again. Looks like I'll need a lot of compost so I'm hoping my own is ready to use plus I'll be visiting the recycle centre to get my free stuff too! :-)

      Delete
  2. I've spent a lovely morning planning all the things I'll be able to do once I'm not working. Can't stop smiling :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!!! It is a hard decision to make but once you do it feels wonderful. The time will go quickly and then you will be on your own schedule. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Still deciding whether to count down the days left or just go with the flow :-)

      Delete
    2. Definitely count down the days & take us with you on your journey. After all, you only get one retirement!! Its would be a great series of blog posts sharing the countdown with us as well as sharing how you are preparing for it to happen. Thanks for sharing it with us.

      Delete
    3. Great idea, thanks! It will be good to look back on it too as that's the main reason I blog :-)

      Delete
  4. Think how many wonderful hours you will be able to spend there after retirement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I was thinking this morning! :-)

      Delete
  5. Excellent buy on the chicken. What weight kg is a regular one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just checked Tesco prices and accordingly to them a whole medium chicken weighs between 1.2kg and 1.5kg (around 3lbs.) Costs £4.10 so I got a good deal!! :-)

      Delete
    2. Thank you. You did very well with that chicken. That is about the average weight we find them here but much dearer. I miss raising my chickens, they averaged about 4 kg.

      Delete
  6. The paperwork is not nearly as bad as I thought it might be. They make it pretty simple for you really.
    The nicest thing about the months left after deciding was that if anything went 'wrong' it was 'so what?' :-) That caused many a smile, albeit secret ones.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's pretty straightforward but want to do it right the first time! So far not had any 'what if I've made the wrong decision?' moments yet but I'll be ready. Still smiling lots though :-)

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks