Saturday 29 April 2023

Shopping, socks and gin cocktails!

 

I've been up since 6am.  I booked a saver delivery slot for £1 between 6am -10 am.  You get given an hour's delivery slot just before 6am so when I got up I knew it was coming between 7.05 and 8.05am.  But I had to check my email for any substitutions.  I refuse to do email on my phone!!  Only sub was 15 eggs for the 12 I had ordered.  Win win, as you get the sub for the lower price!  

When you put it all together it doesn't look much for £92.25 (that's minus the £1 delivery fee) to last me until the end of May with maybe a few fresh fruit/veg top ups.  No meat except bacon rashers and I got a frozen fish pie mix.  Good job I still have a ton of cooked meat in the freezer.

I've been slowly clearing out the 'stuff' from my craft room and my 'room of doom' where all the 'stuff' from the upstairs cupboards was dumped when my son and DIL moved in.  We finally managed to get all their storage boxes into the upstairs cupboards which just leaves mine to clear.  I'm sorting out all my teaching resources into donate/dump piles.  That's taking ages so I do an hour at a time.  I've still got assessment folders full of kids' work from my previous school!!  These kids are all sitting Higher exams right now!  Which proves that all that 'evidence' we have to gather never gets looked at or taken in by anyone in management or the education dept.  Urghhh!  Lots of burning/shredding paperwork is going on as it all has names/DOB etc.

My relaxation is sock knitting 🧦  Here's my latest one hot off the needles last night!  I had an idea to use up wee bits of leftover yarn and make a stripey multicoloured pair.  But it's such a faff joining yarns and I'm not very good/patient at knitting in the tails.  So I stuck to just 2 colours.  The photo doesn't do justice to the lovely bluey green colours.

I'm signed off work for another 4 weeks.  I've not yet been summoned to an attendance meeting so it looks like HR have accepted I'll not be back until I retire.  Not sure if I want to go back for the last week or 2 yet.  I've been told by my work besties that the teacher covering my class of now 14 kids (one has been moved into the other P1 class!!) is struggling with them and has said he doesn't know how I managed without the support he has in place.  In retrospect, I don't know either!!

The planning for my retirement garden party has been taken out of my hands and is being organised by my work besties.  I'm not sure if I'm scared or relieved!!  It's taking on a life of it's own as there's now a Whatsapp group (I'm not in it!) to organise everything.  My previous 2 headteachers have been invited!!  If everyone comes I may have over 40 folk here!! 😱 All I need to do is make the garden look good.  

I bottled the blackcurrant gin liqueur I started last year and started a new rhubarb one with the first rhubarb of the year.  Look at that pretty pink colour already!  Now we've got a start on some cocktail ingredients.  I'm planning on buying Prosecco so we can add some to make a Kir Royale with the blackcurrant gin and maybe a Rhubarb Gin Fizz!   I have an idea to create an Ali Cocktail using things grown in my garden or allotment.  Wee bit of research need I think! 🍸

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're slipping into retirement by stealth :) It's dreadful how it takes someone else struggling with your job to show up what you suffered (hopefully not silently!) Pity the poor teacher who gets them next! Enjoy your cocktail experiments! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Retirement by stealth, love it!! :-) xxx

      Delete
  2. The retirement party will be lovely and well deserved I'm sure . Those homemade cocktails are always fun to make and so simple - my problem is that these days I don't drink as much as I used to so they sit in the cupboard for years !!! x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't drink much any more either but it's fun making cocktails!! :-) xxx

      Delete
  3. Hi Ali, wonderful news about the retirement ‘do’ and your idea of an Ali cocktail sounds great. I wound down to retirement by going from a full week to a half week in a different job for the last three years before retirement after fifty one years full time with no breaks, phew. One company after I left

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops gremlin!! One company, after I left, employed three people to cover my position - a dedicated PA, an Office Administrator and a Buyer, then they wondered why I went. Anyway you enjoy this time you have now to relax, do as you please and soon your life will be so much more as you deserve. Jan in Castle Gresley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blimey, 3 people!! I think it's a case of the more you do, the more is expected of you! Technically I'm not fit for work so can't be out and about doing stuff but I am trying to be busy and productive while I'm at home :-) xxx

      Delete
    2. Ali, you most certainly can be ‘out and about’, if doing those things improves your mental health and well being. Many times I’ve had disgruntled employees coming to me, complaining that their long term sick colleagues were have lovely spa days. HR were always supportive of the spa days from a mental health point of view, worth keeping in mind. You are not fit for work but you still have a life. X

      Delete
    3. I know, I'm just wary about meeting a parent of one of my kids. Our parents can be 'difficult.' When a colleague was off with Long Covid someone reported her to HR because she went out for a walk on the beach with her partner. She had to attend a meeting (with me present as her union rep) to explain herself. It was a nasty feeling for us all.

      Delete
    4. That’s shocking and completely unnecessary. Do they want their children being taught by unwell teachers? I certainly wouldn’t, these parents have short memories of home schooling. You are, of course, correct to protect yourself from that, however unreasonable. X

      Delete
  5. So good to hear you sound so positive about the direction your life is taking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please don’t go back and undo all the recovery you have achieved. I am loving your socks but hate darning the ends in too. I use the magic knot if I am knitting other things like scarves but not sure how it would stand up to sock wearing. I know what you mean about parents-when my father died I was producing the buffet and went to an out of town M and S and was seen by a parent. When I came back after my 3 day bereavement leave I was told by a very forward little 5 year old that his mother had seen me out shopping for a party! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, I won't be going in any time soon. And if I do return for the last week or 2 I doubt I'll be put back in a class, mainly as I'd have a phased return. I'd be supporting other classes. But if that's not on offer then I'll just not go back! :-) xxx

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks