Thursday 20 April 2023

Team building and tidying up!


Down on the allotment site this morning we had a bit of a barn raising time helping one of our elder members aka Dahlia Man put a new covering on his polytunnel.  He grows thousands of stunning dahlias and hasn't been able to use his polytunnel for 2 years.  It was a fab team building exercise!

In total there were 11 of us mostly holding on to it and making sure the cover didn't blow away while others hammered on the wooden supports!  It took us 48 mins to get the cover over and secure.  And a total of 2 hours to get all the sides dug in and the ends secure.

The finished job!  There's been a change in the committee (not without huge drama!!!) and there are more community events to make the site a better place.  It was actually good fun although I'm exhausted now!!


On the home front this week I've treated myself to a new mini greenhouse so I can harden off all my seedlings.  This one can be anchored to the chicken coop so fingers crossed it won't blow away like my old one!


The chicken enclosure got a good tidy up with the old kennel coop removed.  It took 3 of us to try and dismantle it as the enclosure was built round it.  It wouldn't fit through the door so I had to remove a side of chicken wire and we took it out over my asparagus/strawberry raised bed!  The Eglu was moved under the roof area so it doesn't get as wet in the rain.  I still need to prune back the ivy and put a ton of fresh sawdust down.

I filled a skip with all the bits of 'stuff' lying round the garage and the back garden.  I'm having a retirement garden party at the end of June and I want the garden to look nice.  The rules about what can go in a skip now are very strict, everything has to be recyclable.  So it was a good chance to get rid of a lot of big old pieces of wood and broken garden furniture.  Mostly stuff that wouldn't fit into my wee car to take to the tip. 

I finished the socks I was knitting for my DIL and she loves them! 🧦

We seem to be having a nice run of lovely sunny weather so hopefully I'll get more allotment stuff done before the rain returns! ☔🌧

14 comments:

  1. And long may the good weather last. You have certainly accomplished a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels like a time of just getting things done! I fully stripped my bed this morning so I'm just waiting for the washing machine to finish then I'll hang it outside for the first time this year! :-)

      Delete
  2. A great job, well done, everyone. Loving those socks! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun too! My DIL loves the socks, I'm still not keen on the colour combination :-) xxx

      Delete
  3. Well done on the team work to get the polytunnel up-it’s good to see true community spirit at work. Love the socks and it’s only this last week I have stopped wearing my woollen socks. Catriona
    ps I also had my retirement party in the garden in a monsoon after six weeks of a heatwave! We borrowed gazebos galore and a great time was had by all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many people have commented on the lovely community spirit.

      My work besties are in charge of organising the food/drink/gazebos. All I have to do is get my garden and house ready for a ton of visitors!!! :-)

      Delete
  4. How nice of the community to get together and raise a new poly tunnel.

    Enjoy your garden party.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good fun and I got to know a few more plot holders too! :-)

      Delete
  5. Wow - you've been busy, nice socks x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Knitting stops me snacking!! :-)

      Delete
  6. Love the socks! I need a knitting friend!
    The garden will be lovely!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My Lovely Mum once had a June garden party for a big birthday and her garden was beautiful! :-)

      Delete
  7. Raising the tunnel seems like a brilliant way to get to know more of your allotment neighbours. I love your chicken enclosure, how many girls do you have at the moment?

    I'm figuring a way to get my plastic greenhouse anchored down when I move it outside in a week or so. I'm thinking of attaching it to the shed support, so if the greenhouse goes ... the shed will too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only got 1 chicken left and when she goes I'm not getting any more here. The enclosure stops the pigeons and magpies getting in and stealing her food but the wee birds can nip in and out the holes in the chicken wire! Plus I've seen a squirrel squeeze itself through the holes too!! :-)

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks