Friday 14 April 2023

Feeling fruity!

 

I had my appt with the mental health practitioner this morning.  Waste of time, he was useless.  He talked over me for 30 mins about himself!!  Opening line to me "What are you stressed about?  Work?"  Quickly followed up by "Have you thought about retiring?"  Thank goodness I wasn't in dire need of help or that I had to pay for it.  And he stank of cigarette smoke 🤮  But it ticked the box so I can get my Fit Note extended next week.  As I was out and about nice and early I managed to score a decent £1.50 fruit/veg box at Lidl.  First one for aaaaages!

I peeled and chopped the 12 apples and 5 pears.  Only 1 apple was completely rotten right through and some were a bit bashed.  I squeezed the satsuma juice into my big pot and gently cooked the fruit for about 20 mins.  Because they were eating apples they didn't break down and I didn't add any sugar as they are sweet enough.  Once they'd cooled a bit I added a wee bit of local honey.  They're now portioned up into single portions and in the freezer.  I think they'll be good for yoghurt or porridge or even a wee healthy fruit crumble!


I sliced and diced the peppers with some of the Tesco 19p onions.  They're really useful to have in the freezer for stir fries and fajitas 😋

Sadly the peaches and nectarines were a bit rotten from the stone out, even the chicken refused to try one!  Clever bird!!  But I had the plums with my lunch, they were nice.


I've started saving chopped up bits n pieces of veggies in wee pots if I've done too much.  They're really handy to pull out the freezer and boost the veg content.  I had a stir fry for tea last night with frozen peas, sweetcorn, red onion, spring onion and spinach plus a tub of cooked chicken 😋  I'm loving my freezer right now!!

As well as knitting socks, I've also been working on sewing up my cardigan!  Soooo many loose ends to weave in!! ✂  But I'm making progress!  It might even be finished in time for the hottest part of the year!!!! 😂

8 comments:

  1. Wow, nice fruit box! Made me laugh about the 'counselling ' - sounds a complete waste of time x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was but it ticked a box. He told me he had retired from the NHS (he was a psychotherapist) and decided to take this job (less stress). He enjoyed cycling until he got hit by too many cars. He was just back from a holiday in Spain (much cheaper going out of term as I'll find apparently) where he was cycling on much quieter roads. He really enjoyed it again. And his job really was to give me some self help ideas or medication as it takes too long to build up a relationship with patients (takes months) to help them. Honestly, couldn't make it up!!!

      Delete
  2. Good score at Lidl-I looked at the only one they had today but it was very dead looking. I love cooked apples/pears as they go so well on porridge or with yoghurt. Glad you got your fitnote extended and it will give you more time to get back to full health. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the boxes I've seen too can be rather poor quality so it's really just luck! I'm working hard on getting my health and then fitness back :-)

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you know more about the counsellor than he knows about you. His 'patients' are most likely doing him more good than he is doing them. Oh well, box ticked and you can move forward.

    Nice fruity box for just£1.50, yes your freezer is doing a great job for you isn't it. It will be saving you a fortune.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Box ticked indeed. I know exactly what my issues are and yes retirement will fix them but that's not helpful in getting me from now to June. Maybe nothing will help except not actually teaching!! I hope HR are happy with that!

      My freezer is well used, I just need a better system for finding things! :-)

      Delete
  4. ALl those box type things can be very variable, can't they. It sounds like you got a fair amount of usable stuff this time though - every little helps. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're very hit or miss here! But every now and again I get a good one :-) xxx

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks