Thursday 13 April 2023

Socks, buckwheat and kefir

 

My friend loved her socks! 🧦 She sent me a photo of her wearing them 😄  And because she's creative herself she really appreciates the work needed to knit socks.

I've already started work on my next pair.   One completed so far!  This was a ball of sock yarn I've had for years.   I don't remember buying it, might have been given to me to use up in my sock yarn blanket.  I'm not keen on the black/orange/blue combination but my DIL loved it so they're for her!


In an effort to boost my heath and my immune system, I've been looking more carefully at my diet and I'm trying to eliminate processed foods.  I bought some buckwheat to try as it's naturally gluten free and seems quite versatile.  My first attempt was simply to use it as a sub for rice.  I cooked it as per the packet instructions and it was a bit more akin to porridge!!  Heyho, still tasted ok with my minced beef mixture and some greens.  My next attempt was pancakes (see above.)  I soaked some grains overnight, drained them and blitzed them with coconut milk to make a batter.  Turned out ok!  I got the idea from a new to me YouTube channel I found called Fifty Sister.  Interesting lady!  Recipe video HERE.  I sprinkled some mixed seeds over the top while they were cooking to boost the goodness!  I've also been watching some videos on sprouting buckwheat so I might give that a go as well.

I'm also having a go at making water kefir.  I've known about the benefits of  kefir grains for a while but I've always seen them done in milk or people making kefir cheese.  I can't eat dairy.  I didn't know water kefir grains even existed until last weekend!  So, I ordered some and have started the ferment.  I loved making my kombucha last year but as it's fungus based it didn't agree with my digestive system (me + mushrooms = serious digestive issues!!)  Side note, same issues with Quorn!  I'm hoping kefir is a bit more gentle as the probiotic benefits are worth having.  Fingers crossed 🤞

14 comments:

  1. Yes, the work that goes into handmade socks is considerable, I've not made any for ages mainly because I'm a fairly slow knitter and get bored by the second sock !!! Interesting about the buckwheat and kefir.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm about a third done on the second sock as I've got an idea to use up some scrap yarn to create a pair of socks for myself and want to get started asap!! I'll keep you up to date on the kefir experiment :-)

      Delete
  2. The socks are wonderful, I love the greens of the ones you made for your friend, but the other ones are lovely too. Thanks for the Fifty Sister YouTube link ... you've got to love a lady who sups wine while making her buckwheat pancakes haven't you. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The green ones are really bright in real life!! Fifty Sister is so full of life that I just think whatever she's doing it's working!! :-)

      Delete
  3. I love those socks - very attractive. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're very bright but green just isn't my colour. Nor is the black/orange/blue but other folks like them :-) xxx

      Delete
  4. I'm not a big fan of fermented food but maybe it's time for me to try some. I do like yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither but everything I'm reading just now says they're good for gut health. So I'm willing to try :-)

      Delete
  5. Hmm, interesting. I’ve got some buckwheat groats, I could give those pancakes a try. And I need to try kefir again. I like it when I buy it. I just need to be more organised! Helen :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep saying I'll be more organised when I retire!! Lol! :-)

      Delete
  6. Both sets of socks are lovely and I really must use up the two balls of sock yarn I bought in a sale. We were out today trying to source paint for the bedroom and managed to agree on a light sage colour which really please me. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like sage green! That will be a lovely calming colour for a bedroom :-)

      Delete
  7. I’ve watched some of her videos, she has some interesting ideas… Karen S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's just so cheery and enthusiastic! :-)

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks