Thursday 4 May 2023

Energy Dispute Saga

 

I am in dispute with an energy supplier, specifically Scottish Power.  They're not even my energy provider and yet according to them I owe them several thousand pounds.  Their customer services are polite and helpful but after 6 weeks I still have been unable to get anyone to sort it out.

Settle in, it's a saga!!!!!  Read to the end for the punchline 🙄🙄🙄

When my son and his wife moved out of the flat they settled their final bill and closed their account.  No issues.

The flat was empty for over 4 months with just the minimum heating left on to prevent a burst pipe in the cold weather, as per my insurance. When the flat was sold I asked Scottish Power for a final bill and that's when the issues began.

They asked me for lots of paperwork to prove I was the landlord etc and I sent it all by email.  As requested by them.  So far so good although this took many phone calls and emails.

Then, they simply sent an estimated bill several times despite having actual meter readings.

I finally got an accurate bill of £202.07 for the 4 months and I paid it.

THEN they sent me back dated bills from 3rd May 2020 and that's where the fun began!!!!!!

To cut a very long saga short, according to their records (!) someone closed my son's account in May 2020 and immediately reopened it my name.  WTF!!  No one from Scottish Power ever contacted either of us to ask for the proof that I now know is needed to open and close accounts.  So how that's even possible I don't know.  Zero contact from them at the time or even in October 2023 when my son closed his account.

My son continued to receive bills from May 2020 to October 2022 as usual and paid them by DD.  He has all the bank proof if needed. 

So, for the last month I have been getting 2 texts, 2 phone calls and an email on a DAILY basis and letters demanding I pay these back dated bills.  All automated so can't actually respond to a real person.  According to them, I have a debt of over £2,000 for the last 2 years in unpaid bills!!

Emails take 48 hours to turn round from their end and sometimes they just reply we can't sort this by email please phone us.

Every time I phone them to sort it out, I'm on a 40 min call with someone different each time and it just makes it worse.  I've sent all the paperwork requested via email as evidence.  I've even been on the phone while sending the email and the guy at their end opened it and read it back to me.

Finally I got a sensible person who said he could see exactly what the problem was, opened a Promise ID and said don't worry it will all be fixed within 14 days.  

7 days later (Monday) I get an email saying the team sorting out my issue don't have the ability to download any of the documentation I've sent by email (as per THEIR request) and could I please contact them to arrange sending a more 'readable' format.  WTAF!!!! 😠

The last 3 times I've phoned I haven't even been able to get through as they cut off the call after 2 mins saying there is too high a demand to speak to anyone and suggest their chat bot on the website.  Which doesn't have the subject area of sorting out erroneous billing!

Even though I know I don't owe them a single penny, it's still very stressful.  I've had to put my phone on mute so I don't hear the ping of the texts or phone calls.  I can't begin to imagine how someone with genuine fuel poverty issues and debt must feel.

Next stage is to involve the Energy Ombudsman.  I was on their website last night and I meet all the criteria.  I have to wait for a Deadlock letter from Scottish Power before I can proceed so I'm guessing I still have a few more weeks of this pish!!!!

Oh and to top it all off, last night around 11pm my son got a text message from his closed Scottish Power account saying they'd refunded his over payment on his bill of £2,578.47 and yep it was already deposited in his bank account 😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮

You can't make this stuff up!!!!! 😒

21 comments:

  1. Oh Good Grief - what are they doing?
    Really hope you get it all sorted out, being told you owe so much even when you don't is so frightening.
    Next thing will be wanting the money back from your son!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son is going to phone this afternoon but it's such a farcical situation now I've no idea how it's going to be resolved!

      Delete
  2. Email their CEO - it'll soon be sorted then - it's what I do with British Gas everytime I have an issue - Good Luck San in Shropshire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son was on the phone for 1 hour and 20 mins to them earlier. They've finally admitted it's THEIR mistake (as I've said all along!!) but it'll take time for the due process to sort out. I cannot roll my eyes hard enough!!!

      Delete
  3. Apparently Twitter is the way to get their attention. I don't use it so I can't vouch for it but my daughter assures me its the way to get service! Contact Martin Lewis, maybe he can help you and get you some compensation into the bargain! Worth a try I suppose. Good luck. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't use Twitter but would if it was a fairly simple problem. It's basically a computer input cock up but the process to fix it is taking time. At least today they've finally acknowledged it's a them problem. And the fact that they've erroneously refunded my son £2.5K is incentive for them to fix it ASAP!!

      Delete
  4. I went something very similar when I lived in the flat and it took a lot of sorting out just as you say. It makes for such a stressful time doesn't it, even though you know you owe nothing it's sooooo frustrating and worrying. Now your son has their money they will be as nice as pie no doubt. The urge to play them at their own game must be strong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to say it's unbelievable, only sadly nowadays it's not. The Ombudsman sounds like a good idea. Failing that, there's a financial wizard woman called Anna Timms who sorts out problems just like yours, she writes for the Guardian newspaper, she seems to have great success. You could try her if you get no joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's not sorted within the next 14 days I can involve the Ombudsman. It's a classic case of the different depts all doing different things with no one having the actual power to fix the problem.

      Delete
  6. You need to tell them that you are already not well, and that this is causing you extra stress which is making you feel worse. What a damm cheek on their part, hearing this makes me feel so angry! please look after yourself x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have told them and they're always very nice and apologetic. The guy my son spoke to today mentioned the word compensation so we'll see how that pans out

      Delete
  7. What a palaver-it drives me crazy that every problem large or small goes round and round in ever increasing circles. Hopefully all will be sorted out soon. Great work at the allotment. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the fact that the billing dept isn't communicating with the debt recovery recovery dept that is causing the issue. Billing have admitted it's their mistake but they can't stop the debt recovery process. Debt recovery say they can't stop their process. I'm going round in circles trying to find someone who CAN stop the process. And after my son and then me spoke to them yesterday I've still had a further 2 phone calls demanding money!!!

      Delete
  8. Oh my, what a bloody mix up. Hope all gets straightened out very soon.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so cos I'm scunnered by the whole thing!

      Delete
  9. Sorry you are going through this - what a damn nightmare x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though we were told yesterday it's definitely their fault and shouldn't have happened, I've had 2 phone calls, 2 texts and an email today demanding I pay the bill. It is a damn nightmare!!

      Delete
  10. We had to argue with them for several years as they kept requesting a meter reading from a smart meter we do not have and they were supposed to fit .They continued to send high estimated bills . We even sent photos of the meter we have . In the end my husband wrote to the CEO and PR dept and it got sorted but it’s so stressful . They are a nightmare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree they're a nightmare esp as they know what the issue is and it's absolutely their error. The main issue is that all the different depts don't acknowledge each other. So I get daily calls/texts/emails about my 'debt.' I have to give them 8 weeks to sort it out before the Ombudsman will touch it.

      Delete
  11. When we moved house it took nearly a year to get BG to bill us for electric. They said they weren’t our suppliers and every other source said they were. they even sent he heavy gang round to check we hadn’t bypassed the meter! In the end after 7 months of phone calls I emailed the CEO and it was sorted out within 12 hrs!! Sally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As they've agreed it's their mistake it's in the process of being sorted out. But 2 Bank holidays within my 14 days Promise time has really messed up the timing. And I'm still getting several phone calls a days!!!

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks