Saturday 2 December 2023

Afternoon Tea at The Balmoral


My youngest son and his fiancé treated me and her mum to afternoon tea at The Balmoral in Edinburgh.  It's an old beautiful 5 star hotel in the heart of the city, more recently famous for where JK Rowling finished writing The Deathly Hallows.  More details HERE.  It was my retirement gift from them 😊  I must confess I've never had afternoon tea before.  But it was such a gentle and relaxed few hours, I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Someone was playing Christmas songs on a harp.  It was all very civilised.  We had a teeny cup of delicious pumpkin and vanilla soup to start.  Then sandwiches and scones.

Then came the pastries!  I couldn't eat all of mine as I was full so I brought 3 of them home in a posh doggy bag.  They had a choice of 88 different teas.  I chose a white jasmine.  It was so delicate and delicious!  We also had a glass of champagne!

Even though the weather was cold and snowy and Edinburgh was so busy it was worth forcing myself out of the house to be sociable!  Here's a decent photo of me and my baby 💕

20 comments:

  1. What a kind and wonderful present for you and yours, scrummy food and champagne to enjoy though I must say you are a lightweight over the cakes😉. Seriously, glad that you enjoyed the day and what a handsome boy and a lovely photo of you. Jan in Castle Gresley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the cakes later at home while watching Strictly!! I really loved the photo of us, I rarely like photos of myself these days xxx

      Delete
  2. All looks rather fabulous and a lovely way to way to spend a winter afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so relaxing especially knowing how manic it was outside on Princes Street!!! We also had time to look round the Christmas market. Many beautiful things tempted me but I didn't buy anything xxx

      Delete
  3. sounds like a lovely afternoon tea, also a lovely photo of you both x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was unexpectedly lovely as it's not really my 'thing' but I know my son and his fiancé love it. We took lots of photos to remind us of a wonderful afternoon xxx

      Delete
  4. I'm going for afternoon tea on Tuesday but it won't be anywhere near as fancy as The Balmoral sounds. I like Jasmine tea too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ordered the white jasmine tea not knowing there was a supplement so felt a bit guilty. But it was so delicate and delicious xxx

      Delete
  5. Love posh afternoon tea! Those pastries look delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very posh and they were scrumptious!! xxx

      Delete
  6. What a lovely gift. Gorgeous photo of you and your son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely treat and I love the photo too xxx

      Delete
  7. What a lovely thoughtful gift and it’s good that you were able to enjoy it after all you recent upsets. Gorgeous photo of you and your boy❤️ Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really thoughtful of him and a much needed pick me up xxx

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful retirement gift! Great memories and a lovely picture of you and your son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was a lovely relaxed afternoon xxx

      Delete
  9. How lovely, looks like a very special treat x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that was a lovely gift. So glad you enjoyed it.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did enjoy it, I didn't expect to! xxx

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks