Thursday 14 December 2023

My 'free' Christmas lunch

 

Remember I said that I'd get a few more M&S vouchers thanks to all the vet bills being paid by my credit card?  Well I got £14 worth instead of my usual £4!! Free money to spend in M&S!💰

So when I was in town on Tuesday I got some reduced Christmas food to put in the freezer for Christmas day.  I got all the above plus the one single card I'm sending this year (to my Lovely Mum) and paid for it all with my vouchers 😊 I'm donating to Social Bite and my local food bank again instead of sending cards.

It's a very low key affair for me this year.  I'm not putting up the Santa tree (Luna would just wreck it!!) so I've put up my garland with lights and displayed a few ornaments.  And I'm happy with that.

I bottled up some of the gin liqueurs I made in the Summer with fruit from the garden or allotment.  I'm gifting each one with a bottle of fizz so my friends can make a cocktail.  All my other gifts are very simple.  Money for the kids plus some nice sweet treats.

I had lunch yesterday with 2 of my Gin Queen besties to give them their (above) gifts.  One of them is going on a week long Christmas cruise!  They asked me how I was spending Christmas day.  My only plan is to do a quick visit to mum (weather permitting) and then eat my M&S food if I feel like it.  Or I might just have a sandwich.  I'm not cooking or want to be cooked for.  My kids are all doing their own things so it's very easy for me.  They both looked at me and said that sounds perfect!!  It might not suit some people but I've done Christmas every which way for over 35 years and this year I'm pleasing myself for once 😊

15 comments:

  1. We will also have a Christmas Day similar to yours. Our daughter and husband will be in sunnier climes and we try not to overeat heavy rich foods these days. Social Bite and food bank get our christmas card money too. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's probably 2 meals worth there but I'll see how I feel on the day. I'm hearing about a few folk who are doing something similar this year. i think when your family is full of grown ups it's not the same as when you have wee ones around. I hope that time will come soon for me :-) xxx

      Delete
    2. Sadly, Ali, it will never come for me but I am lucky that husband and I are still happily together after 53 years. We can eat and heat so thankful for that too in these very hard times. Catriona

      Delete
  2. Irt all sounds really lovely and cosy and comfortable. Your way that works best for you. Splendid. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've spent many years pleasing other people on the day itself, it feels rather nice deciding what I'm doing with no 'helpful' input :-) xxx

      Delete
  3. I've not had that turkey pie from M&S but have had the chicken and leek one from there, so I suspect it is very similar, and it was delicious. Really tasty and meat filled. Did more than one meal too. I'm doing the same as on my own - not cooking. Might have some nibbles you can do in the air fryer, prawn cocktail on nice bread and fancy cheese and crackers. It is one day and I won't starve :) Best wishes for a nice Christmas - Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The Gastropub range is usually good. Your food ideas sound good too :-) xxx

      Delete
  4. I love the sound of your Christmas Day. I also love the look of your book case ... the garland looks lovely and the books look AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I did the books by colour during lockdown. It was fun to do but I never know where anything is as I had them by category before! LOL!! :-) xxx

      Delete
  5. I think that people who are able to free themselves up from binding traditions are the real winners at xmas - I hope you really enjoy the tasty m and s lunch, or whatever you decide to eat x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm encouraging my boys and their wife/fiancé to do exactly what they want on the day as I always 'had to' do certain family things. I'm not saying I'll never cook a full traditional Christmas dinner again. Right now I just don't want to!! :-) xxx

      Delete
  6. Having Christmas the way you want it is just the best. Enjoy your time.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're quite relaxed in Hexham this year for Christmas so I am quite looking forward to that with my MiL and BiL as well as husband. Your simpler day sounds very nice! The gins look really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gins were tasty, obviously I had to test them first! :-) xxx

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks