Saturday 16 December 2023

Better than a TGTG bag!

 

I've mentioned before that the Too Good To Go bags aren't always good value for me as I don't eat the bread and cake based items that seem to fill them.  Plus they can be full of over processed foods that I just don't eat.  I noticed that our local Aldi has now joined the scheme and a bag costs  £3.30 with a guaranteed value of £10.  I thought I might test one out at some point as I've seen a few YouTubers talk about their bags.

But then by chance my DIL was in our local Aldi around 5pm when they started marking down the meat by 75%.  She got 2 x 500g packs of Pigs in Blankets and stuffing balls, 2 x 248g packs of the Brie and Cranberry Candy Canes, a 500g pack of beef mince and a 1kg pack of chicken breasts!  She also got a pack of 4 cakes.  Grand total £5.20!!!!  Better value than a TGTG bag methinks!

She gifted me the pack of chicken breasts so free chicken for me 😊  I poached them for 2 hours in the Crockpot on High with a little water, salt and sprinkling of mixed herbs.  Then I sliced it and made 6 generous portions to freeze.  I'll definitely do that again as the meat was so tender!  I used the poaching liquid to make chicken flavoured veggie soup! 🍗🥕🧅 That made 7 portions so that's 7 lunches sorted!

My DIL is a pescatarian but my son eats meat.  When she sees a good price on meat she shares with me and when I see a deal on fish I share with her.  It takes effort (ie going to different stores at different times!) but these kind of deals plus a decent Lidl veg box or bag from the community shop could seriously reduce meal costs.  

17 comments:

  1. Great bargain and it also reduces the food being dumped too. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a fab bargain! I'm guessing at those prices they would be snapped up quickly. If not they would go into the TGTG bags or straight to our community food shop. They have big freezers now so meat etc gets frozen if it's on the date. We do have a good waste nothing strategy here in Stirling but sadly it's all done on a voluntary basis. There was an absolute outcry locally when the council decided to charge a local charity group the full rental charge of a hall that donates food/meals within a poorer community. The charity was going to fold. Luckily they reversed that decision but only thanks to the protest! And I suspect because the council realised they would have to fund the replacement service themselves!!

      Delete
  2. She did well there, some brilliant bargains. My Nana used to poach her chicken all the time, she much preferred it that way to roasted. On virtually every visit to her there would be a pan on the stove poaching another chicken breast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truthfully I shoved it in the slowcooker as I didn't have the time to do much else with it and I don't like freezing raw meat if I can help it. It was a revelation!

      Delete
  3. Excellent bargains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably one of the best bargain shops in a while!

      Delete
  4. I gave up the bags, we only had M&S at our local garage, items started to be things we font use. I think there are less yellow stickers as more people are looking for bargains. Marlene, Poppypatchwork

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a lot less yellow stickers around. I only buy them if they're meat or veg now

      Delete
    2. I have gone back to pressure cooking my chicken it is so much nicer

      Delete
    3. I've always been scared of pressure cookers!!

      Delete
  5. Some amazing deals there. I've never done TGTG. Like you, I feel they are usually filled with pastry, cake and bread products and, for me, would just be a waste of money. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's usually a lot of cheap bread items which I just don't eat. Sometimes you get lucky with nice fruit n veg or a decent ready meal but these are few and far between!

      Delete
  6. That's great value, I admire you and dil shopping so savvy
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's just luck! Right place right time!!

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks