Thursday 25 January 2024

Doing 'stuff'

 

I finished a sock 🧦  It's in a blue/green colourway and I don't love it.  It's one of the Regia Arne and Carlos designs.  But it's a finished sock and I'll cast on the second one tomorrow.  This pair might end up getting gifted.  Or I could be really organised and say I've started my Christmas presents for this year already 🎁😉

The weather is still absolutely appalling so I was very surprised to see that my Sarah Raven tulips are starting to pop up again in the raised bed at the front of my house.  This will be their 3rd year so I'm keen to see how they do this year.  Photo taken through the window but all that greenery is tulip leaves!  🌷🌷🌷

Since my leeks were planted in the same bed I decided to remove them to give the tulips a chance.  This may or may not have been a mistake!!  I've just stuck them in a tub and rinsed them off a bit.  The rain can clean them a bit more before I get round to chopping them up and freezing them tomorrow! 


I've been doing more cooking to stop me buying sweet treats!  Yesterday I made some crepes with the buttermilk from my last batch of butter making.  They were perfect with a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkling of sugar! 🍋

Today I made a rice pudding on the stove top with last of my pudding rice.  I didn't have any kind of milk except some powdered Marvel in the storecupboard so I used that!  I used brown sugar so it has a slight caramel flavour.  Doesn't look great in a photo but oh my, it was delicious!! 😋

My pre ordered seed potatoes from Pennards arrived!  I have Epicure, Cara and Arran Victory.  I've been trying for the last few years to get Epicure as they are the classic early Ayrshire tatties I was brought up on!  I'll do these in pots and the others I'll put in the ground at the allotment.  Cara and Arran Victory grow well for me on the plot 🥔

My Kitchen Garden magazine arrived too!  For the first time in months it didn't contain lettuce seeds!!  I must count up the number of lettuce seeds I have.  I don't even like growing the stuff!!!  I think my subscription must be almost finished.  It was a gift from my Lovely Mum 😊

Even though I've been taking things slowly I've been pottering around and doing loads of 'stuff.'

16 comments:

  1. It really is amazing how much one can get done "pottering". My goodness that's a good looking crepe.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy looking crepe and I really enjoy rice pudding. If it ever dries up, I’ll get out and tidy up our garden as it’s full of weeds! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Proper comfort food is needed in these dreich days! My poor garden looks awful despite it being so pristine last Summer for my party :-) xxx

      Delete
  3. I have recently purchased February's Kitchen garden, which I enjoyed reading, is it worth subscribing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't get the same 'free gifts' when you subscribe that you get when you buy it in the shop. I only get 3 packets of seeds each month and they've not been that inspiring. Loads of lettuce seeds for example!! :-) xxx

      Delete
  4. It's a lovely sock in many ways, but I think what it's missing is a dash of a bright colour, something like orange, just a touch to add some life to it.

    Yes, my copy of Kitchen garden magazine arrived yesterday with it's seeds. They really do like to give us lots of lettuce don't they. I tend to sprinkle some of the lettuce seeds as a sort of sacrificial crop to deter pests from eating my other plants, if any grow big enough for me to eat then fair enough. At the moment I have all my beds full of onions and about three rows of last years carrots left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right! It needs a bright colour to lift it a bit. There's actually 3 different shades of blue but it just looks dull with the green! Didn't think of using the lettuce as a sacrificial crop, fab tip!! :-) xxx

      Delete
    2. As blue is my favourite colour, I love those socks. ~ skye

      Delete
    3. I love the socks, i’m too a definite blue. I love lettuce and fry up any excess like spinach or with onions, garlic, courgettes. Can take up space in the plot so a sacrificial veg crop is a good idea

      Delete
    4. I don't dislike blue, it's just this colour combination is a bit dull for my taste.

      I've made lettuce soup before but not tried frying it! :-) xxx

      Delete
  5. Arran Victory is one of my favourite tatties. If so inclined, lettuce makes a good light white wine. you could use up lettuce seeds growing as a microgreen indoors - handy for sandwiches or adding to a salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indoor microgreens is a genius idea!!! :-) xxx

      Delete
  6. ps - the French do a lovely braised dish of peas, lettuce and shallot, with white wine and mint

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your idea of putting the socks into a Christmas Gift stash is a good one, one of your family/friends will be so happy with them. Love the crepes. You are so organised, I'll end up having a limited choice of seed potatoes because I'll leave the purchase until the last minute!
    I've used lettuce in soups and stir fries before, great if you have a glut. I like Sue's suggestion of sowing lettuce seeds as a sacrificial crop.... and I guess some of it will survive and be edible, I'm too precious about lettuce........perhaps this year I'll just let the slugs have their share 😄
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not been able to get Epicure cos I wasn't organised enough! I pre ordered these back in November!!!! I think I might put the socks away for a present. I know lots of family members who'd like them :-) xxx

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks