Thursday 4 January 2024

Ways to use up: potatoes (edited)

 

I cleaned out my veg basket and fridge of veggies before my Sainsbury's delivery yesterday.  I had half a bag of sprouting potatoes leftover from Christmas to use up so I made a big pot of buttery mash!  After 2 meals served with mash (sausages in gravy and slow cooked beef, both from the freezer) I still had around 500g leftover.  So, I made 16 tattie scones 😋 12 are already in the freezer!

But it got me thinking of the different ways I use potatoes and wondered if I could do more.

When the oven's on for a decent amount of time, I like to fill it up with potatoes to bake.  Some get used to make cheesy stuffed potatoes.  Some get cut into wedges, sprinkled with seasonings and frozen for later.

I had a sorry looking baked potato lurking in the fridge so I grated it and made a kinda rosti.  It was nice with a fried egg!  Not as good as proper ones like THESE but passable.

I've also made Aloo Tikki HERE, really just spicy potato cakes.

So my potato repertoire consists of the usual boiling, baking, chipping and roasting.  I top pies with mash.  I occasionally make tattie scones.  I've made rumbledethumps (Scottish bubble and squeak) and tried Aloo Tikki.  I've made potato gratin.  And don't forget the classic leek and potato soup!  In the Summer I make potato salads especially with new potatoes.

I'm consistently able to grow a decent amount of potatoes so I was thinking I could prepare some different potato based things to freeze in the Summer.  Can you think of any other potato ideas that are simple and cheap to do?   Especially things I could freeze!

Edited to add ideas from comments:

Gnocchi, duchess potatoes, saag aloo, fishcakes, hash, potato bread, potato pastry, croquettes, potatoes  boulangere, hasselback potatoes

18 comments:

  1. Make gnocchi - simple, cheap, tasty, versatile, can be frozen; if you need to freeze mash, best done as duchesse potatoes; saag aloo; fishcakes; corned beef (or other eat/veg) hash; potato bread; potato pastry HTH SarahM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo yes gnocchi! Not made that for years. Great suggestions :-) xxx

      Delete
  2. Potatoes sliced with stock (boulanger? ) if you have the oven on. I also like them sliced and layered with spinach and cooked in milk (should be cream but that upsets my gut) in the oven. Favourite would be the tattie scones of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that sounds good. Just found the BBC food recipe for it and it says it's freezable!! :-) xxx

      Delete
  3. I think your list is pretty comprehensive so have no suggestions - sorry - I made tattie scones recently and they didn't look half as good as yours!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely getting better at them so I think it's just practice! :-) xxx

      Delete
  4. You have pretty much covered all the bases with your list and then other posters have added what I would have. I am going to look up Tattie scones they look darn interesting.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a recipe for them in my recipe section! :-) xxx

      Delete
  5. I made a lot of little Hasselback potatoes a while ago and the ones left over froze really well and were just reheated in the microwave ... successfully. I also par boil potato wedges and toss them in herbs or spices and open freeze them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I've made them before aaaages ago. Good to know they freeze :-) xxx

      Delete
  6. My favorite way to eat potatoes at home is ‘bubble and squeak’ - fried leftover roast or boiled potato with carrot/parsnip and peas. I imagine it would freeze well (if there was any ever left over 😂).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's never any left here either!!! So moreish! :-) xxx

      Delete
  7. Hi Ali
    I live in France and I find it’s often cheaper to buy a big 10kg bag of potatoes. We eat a lot although we’re only 3 so I often par boil a big batch, shake them in the pan to fluff the edges then freeze them on trays. Then I have quick half cooked roasties to finish in the air fryer whenever needed. Not quite as perfect as freshly made but totally passable and super cheap. You can also cook the exact amount you need

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not been able to get the big bags of potatoes recently but I'm always on the look out. I've tried freezing roasties before and they were ok :-) xxx

      Delete
  8. My easiest way is potato latkes (like your rosti) I like them with a big dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks