Monday 15 April 2024

Different kind of leeks!

 

I went to the allotment today for the first time this year.  It was a mud fest!!  I was going to plant some potatoes but my plot neighbour John said it was too wet and he wasn't planting his spuds yet!  John is an old school allotmenteer (he calls me dear mainly because I think he can never remember my name!!) and if he says don't plant them yet then I'm not planting them!!  Maybe give it another week if this rain ever stops!! 🌧

Despite the mud, the plot isn't in too bad shape.  My leeks had survived the burst river bank episodes so I harvested them all.  They're now cleaned, chopped up and in 3 big freezer bags!!  We all love leeks and often use them instead of onions 🧅

Despite filling the freezer up with leeks, I am trying to eat down the contents in general by using up what's lurking in the bottom.  I found a ton of unwaxed lemons and limes (slices, quarters and ice cubes of juice/zest) so I simmered them in a big pan of water with some dried rose hips I found in the back of the cupboard.  Then I strained them and added icing sugar (it was all I had!) to taste and simmered it until it was a bit syrupy.  It filled a one litre bottle.  Lemon, lime and rose hip cordial.  It's really lovely hot or cold 😋  I'll definitely be making it again.  I could have added citric acid powder to extend the shelf life but I'm just keeping it in the fridge.

10 comments:

  1. Ooh-that looks so refreshing! Good job using up stuff too which will be a little help towards reducing the food bill. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on a mission to use up as much food as I can before I move so I don't have to take it with me! Could lead to some interesting meal combinations!! :-) xxx

      Delete
  2. Your cordial looks very good. Interesting meal combinations are always fun.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be a bit or miss though!! But my mission is don't waste any food! :-) xxx

      Delete
  3. Your cordial looks good. We have the same problem on our allotment in the South West, clay soil like porridge. But it's starting to get warmer so the tomato plants by the patio window can go into the polytunnel soon. Good find with the leeks. Hope the packing is going well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beds that I've been using the no dig method were slightly better but the rest is all clay. My rhubarb was doing well too :-) xxx

      Delete
  4. That sounds and looks delicious. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leeks in and lemons out ... it sounds like a good swap over. That's a really good idea for a bag of lemons. I've never thought of making them into a cordial, I might just give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just accumulated too many to use up before the end of next month. It's really refreshing! :-) xxx

      Delete

I love getting comments but I will delete any spam and rude personal comments without hesitation. Thanks